Abelton or Fruity loops?

Psif1904

wassup im a new producer looking for advice on which DAW I should use because im up in the air about them... I messed with fl studio a little bit and abelton not at all so just wondering what other peoples experiences are... im a sample based hip hop producer for now thanks

As far as I know, FL Studio is the easiest DAW. So if you're a newbie to producing, you should stick to it for now.
I started with FL Studio and I've tried Ableton, Reason and Logic, but I found all of them harder.

The answer to this one is which one you like to look at.
used fl studio for like 4 years as a hobby and still could not get used to that thing fully.
same with ableton.Although the performance modes were easy to use.

The ones I believe are the hardest are the ones I used prior to reason and studio one.Fl studio/ableton is harder to use than most daws due to being more about patterns than clips.As a guy who played the fl studio/ ableton games, It's a close win for fl studio just because I used it longer prior to switchin to other progs.

Last edited:
I am in favor of ableton and for a sample based producer I think that abletons drum rack is heaven :P. I haven't used fl studio for some time and things might have changed, but I think the ease of use of wraping and manipulating samples is excellent in ableton.

That being said you will have spend time learning a new daw so if you do not feel restricted by FL Studio I would advise you not to change your daw ;)

edit: typo :P

Last edited:
Fruity Loops is good, a lot of beginners use it AND a LOT of PROS use it and all the people in between.

Because its so well designed and looks cool and modern with the interface. (Not that im saying the others DAWs ain't)

But i really like fruity loops. My friends use REASON.

Last edited:
Here we go again: download the demo for both of them. Take your time and try to make some music with them. And then, decide which one you want to use.

All daws can do the same thing, and have the same quality.

Either one of those toys should be alright if you ReWire them into a proper DAW like Cubase. :p

FL Studio's popularity is due to the fact that it makes mouse based composition slightly less inefficient for those who are not using a more efficient MIDI keyboard, as such FL Studio lends itself to portability quite well.

If you were contemplating going for Ableton Live I would recommend exploiting any upgrade path offered with the Lite version bundled with many keyboards as this could potentially save you some cash.....that's something you have to explore for yourself though.

When comparing software it's a good idea to peep the features as well as the feature requests to find out what's lacking.

Ableton is way, way, way more powerful than FL studio. FL studio is really good at what it's good for, but that ease of use comes at a high price when it comes to versatility. For producing with Samples I'd say Ableton is definitely what you want. As a sequencer it's not as pretty, but it's versatile and it's a lot easier to work with audio samples.

Whatever works for your creative style. The mix down is what really affects the sound. You can use either programe and get a good mix using the bigger production DAWs afterwards like logic or protools (for reverbs,eg,stereo imaging, etc.

Agreed?

Back