A Guide for Buying Essential Tools

nima

Hi everyone
Im an amateur musician, Im tired of making shit music. I work with Reason and make trance music. My musics are not well mastered, the kick drum and bassline specially sucks. I was thinking about buying a pair of studio monitors and a better sound interface and even a better software. I already have a Presonus interface that is not good.

I have a limited budget. I can afford up to 2500$.
Ive heard that Logic pro is the best software which runs only on Mac. I dont have a mac.
I was gonna buy Macbook Pro and logic buy If I buy mac and logic I wont be able to buy a good monitor. Everyone tells me to buy a good monitor and sound interface cause I have a good PC.
I dont know if its really worth to buy a mac. I have two options:

1. buying a pair of monitors (sth around 1500$) + a Mbox Mini and Pro Tools (Or Cubase).

2. buying a Macbook Pro and Logic + a pair of cheap monitors (like Yamaha hs50) and no sound interface.

Which one do you suggest? Is there a better option? What monitors do you recommend?

Thanks

Logic is a great DAW, but it isn't magically superior to any of the other big name DAWs - just a bit different. So if you already have a good PC, no point switching just because "they said so" :)

And you don't need to buy an MBox to run PT anymore, so you can pick an interface that best suits your needs and possible future expansion. Monitor choices are tricky...but I'd take a good look at Genelec, Dynaudio and Adam. The Yamaha HS series are well loved, though.

Thanks for your reply

I think I should stick to my PC and buy PT, but dont know much about interfaces and what suits my needs. I forgot to ask this, but what is the best interface for me? My style is completely electronic and dont record vocals, guitars etc.

Ive heard of some Mackie series, Im afraid I might make the same mistake about the interface.

You can always go the used route for monitors and DAW, if you want to save a bit of cash, just find one close "craigslist or W/e- from this site maby" where you can go look at it in person.

Try a PC and Reaper for even less money and more flexibility

Last edited:
I would say get something like studio one it comes free with all their interfaces (the artist edition) and get something like the yamaha's or adams,

My 2 cents

Two cheers for studio one!

In all honesty, the DAW choice really means close to nothing in terms of quality. Pick the one u like the best workflow-wise. Focus more on learning how to mix, creating the right listening environment to mix in, and having the right monitors to hear the mix. If you're not really recording... your interface should serve its purpose as long as its drivers work well. U don't need to spend a lot of money there... u won't really get much benefit... unless ur a true audiophile that can hear roaches pissin on cotton.

Back