A few questions about skratchin

JWA

Hey this is my first post here, been looking for a good forum to ask for some advice on skratching....

Basically, im not new to it, i can have nice clean chirps, fast transforming, double click flares, single click flares, scribbles, tears those would be the ones i would say i can give a nice clean demonstration of... im now learning the boomerang and the swing flare... But my main issue is... i find when im scratching that i always tend to go back to mostly transforming, maybe chirps and scribbles in there too... but even though i can do nice fast orbits and stuff, i never really know how to properly integrate them.. i mean when you guys are scratching would you have a few combos that you have practiced working together or do you generally just flow from one scratch into the other? because i have to say this is definately my downfall

edit: i guess what i am asking is about combining scratch techniques into a nice flow rather than getting stuck using transforms mostly lol... also when learning about building up speed with a new scratch - do you find that it is better to practice the technique without music just getting faster and faster until you can comfortably do it at speed without thinking, and then try doing it double timed to a beat?

Last edited:
i feel you man, when i first started i was stuck on transforms. just get your double click game down and learn delayed flares. once i learned delayed flares it opened a whole new door. i can pm you a link to a scratching forum that's mad active and doods on there are dope. not only that but they're actually nice people so you don't have to worry about anything

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

oh and fowards and backs. make sure you can orbit those, that's the foundation and will help your fader control and hand control

yeah man that would be great if you could pm me that

i can do orbits / double clicks no problem... what i find tho is that when i transform i can move the record in all sorts of ways, tears and lots of random stuff that sounds very very cool... but when it comes to double click flares i always end up just going forwards and backwards, its as if its hard to move the record in different ways when im flaring as opposed to transforming... also switching from transform into flare techniques, what i find is if i just dont think about anything, and just let my record hand go crazy sometimes it sounds like im chopping in flares transforms chirps everything without thinking, but what i want is proper control - crossfader control is quite difficult i find im using my arm more than just the wrist alot of times too

sending

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

yo shout me out too when you get on that site haha peash

Back