808 and kicks

C

Crix

Hi guys. I started getting mad at this so I thought making a thread there would be a good idea since I always found help on this forum. I started to realise that my kicks and 808 aren't playing well together. I mean I feel like when the kick and 808 hits, something bumps after it. It just don't plays clear. I tried to compress both of them but it helped only a little. I don't know if it's really something wrong or I just made it up in my head. :hmmm:

Any audio example?

For now:
With "something bumping after it", do you mean like a bass swell or woof after the kick hits?
It could be because there's perhaps a bass-swell/big bassy tail after the hit in the kick, and if this swell is in the right phase with the 808, it can get out of hand.
Try gating the kick so this tail disappears, and experiment with a highpass as well (the steepest cutoff that's possible) and see if it helps as well.
If the swell disappears, but the result gets too weak, you could always try pitching down the kick until it's in the right pitch again, but the swell is even lower. Try doing the same processing to that, and perhaps it get less weak since it now hits much lower.
Not sure if that's the case, but if it is, you can always try it. :)

Yeah, I can hear a slight swell, but it's very weak, I think a highpass or a narrow cut at the right frequency should be enough, maybe a gate if it doesn't fix it.

But the main issue as I hear it is that your kick is out of tune with the 808. The bassline pretty much "shift note".
Adjust the pitch of the kick, and bring it down perhaps 2 or 3 semitones.
Then you can also try focusing the the bass in the kick to the key of the track. So google a sheet with the frequnecies of the different notes, and perhaps give a slight boost on an EQ to the kick in the right frequency with a narrow width (but not too narrow), and perhaps 2 narrow cuts, slightly below and above this frequency.

Then you can always try sweeping a peak through the lowend with an as narrow value as possible (preferably covering only 1 frequency), and kill all the nasty spots that makes it all unfocused.

Man you are a hero. It works :D You explained it perfectly and now it sounds clear. Thank you very much because I tried to fix it about two weeks! :):)

Back