#1 Song on iTunes Going at Jimmy Iovine

beauli20

Bula Productions
I got this from a Wendy Day article and wanted to share. Me personally am kinda torn on the whole indie vs. major thing. Honestly if a major were to give me and my artist a nice advance and we get to just focus on music rather than a bunch of administrative BS I might do it if there wasn't an overwhelming amount of ****ery going on. Stories like this are pretty inspiring though, its cool to see what guys on this site have been predicting for years happening too. I've never heard of these guys but checked the song out and its pretty dope.

This is the number one album on iTunes as I write this:
"The Heist" Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
It contains the song "Jimmy Iovine." You can hear it here:
http://youtube.com/w/?v=9RwW6ERgpvo
You can read the lyrics here:
http://www.songlyrics.com/macklemore-ryan-lewis/jimmy-iovine-lyrics/
Although there are references to Jimmy earlier in the track, at the end the lyrics are:
"Now I'm sorry, I've had a long day
Remind me, now what's your name?
That's right, Macklemore
Of course, today has been crazy
Anyway, you ready?
We'll give you a hundred thousand dollars
After your album comes out we'll need back that money that you borrowed
So it's really like a loan
A loan? Come on, no
1-2, 360 degrees, we will reach your goals
You'll get it done in the merch that you sell out on the road
Along with the third of the money you make when you're out doing your show
Manager gets 20, booking agent gets 10
So shit, after taxes you and Ryan have 7% to split
That's not bad, I've seen a lot worse
No one will give you a better offer than us
I replied I appreciate the offer, thought that this is what I wanted
Rather be a starving artist than succeed at getting ****ed"

Although this song is specifically about Jimmy Iovine, it could be any record label honcho. You see the label and its execs need the money, to protect their lifestyle, to try and succeed in their failing race to keep up with the bankers. Selling recorded music ain't what it used to be, and they're not gonna suffer, the acts must.
But what is fascinating is that the acts know it. And despite all the nitwits signing up for this misadventure, the purveyors of the number one album refuse. Because it's a bad deal. They're not stupid, they want to be bankers too.
And one can comment on the dog eat dog world the music business has become. There used to be cocaine for everybody, now that's gone along with the private planes and the parties and the swag... But what's more interesting is Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have decided to strike out on their own, biting the hand that used to feed them.
Used to be in the music business if you said no, the powers-that-be would say they were going to destroy you, you'd never be successful. But Jimmy Iovine is powerless against Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Now, artists are in control of their own destiny, if they choose to be.
We've heard continuously this century that no act has broken via the Internet, that radio is still king, that you need a major label to succeed. But we keep getting exceptions. They're more frequent than ever.
This is the future. Doing it for yourself. Or doing it with someone who deals with you equitably.
This isn't Jimmy Iovine's worst nightmare, it's Warner, Sony and Universal's. Jimmy's already exited the building, with Beats. Then again, Beats ankled Monster, Beats is purely a marketing label, not a technology company, will this hurt them as technology companies enter the marketplace, as HTC, its deep pocket, fades into the rearview mirror?
One thing Bob Dylan got right, the times certainly are-a-changin'.

Prob...hes the most well known rich white executive guy so its an attention grabber. Its not about their beef with jimmy iovine tho, the number one song on itunes is an indie rap group. Its just the icing on the cake that they are talking shit about label execs.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Prob...hes the most well known rich white executive guy so its an attention grabber. Its not about their beef with jimmy iovine tho, the number one song on itunes is an indie rap group. Its just the icing on the cake that they are talking shit about label execs.
Edit: this is the #1 album, not the single

The writing is on the wall, the age of the self-sustained music ENTREPRENEUR (none of that D.I.Y. trying to win on a 'come up' nonsense) is officially here and based on the first week sales of acts like Lecrae and now Macklemore & Ryan Smith these guys are starting to beat the majors at their own game. For hip hop its 1988 all over again but now with a digital twist which has made the potential unlimited, beautiful times for those willing to boss all the way up

Last edited:
The writing is on the wall, the age of the self-sustained music ENTREPRENEUR (none of that D.I.Y. trying to win on a 'come up' nonsense) is officially here and based on the first week sales of acts like Lecrae and now Macklemore & Ryan Smith these guys are starting to beat the majors at their own game. For hip hop its 1988 all over again but now with a digital twist which has made the potential unlimited, beautiful times for those willing to boss all the way up

That's right the age of 'true hustler' is back.

Yuppp....i thought Drake was gonna be the indie golden boy haha but these guys are doing what you've been sayin for a minute now @legal.

If you got good music, a good team, and some funds behind you you can really do it, without getting "****ed" by a jimmy iovine type.

Yuppp....i thought Drake was gonna be the indie golden boy haha but these guys are doing what you've been sayin for a minute now @legal.

If you got good music, a good team, and some funds behind you you can really do it, without getting "****ed" by a jimmy iovine type.

EXACTLY and the proof is directly in the pudden with those guys projected to outsell MGK who is backed by Bad Boy/Interscope. Now if you're playing the Top 40 Rihanna, Katy Perry mainstream dance game then yes the major labels still got that on lock but the viral sensation of PSY already shows early signs of that wall eventually leveling out as well.

Right now there should be 15-20 mid-size independents controlling the vast majority of relevant urban music with a handful of remaining 'superstars' on the majors in the traditional sense. When it gets to that stage then the scene will be able to better diversify as far as SOUND and CONTENT and become a more vibrant scene.

Hell yeah...grimey city records tryin to be one of those. The scene you describe is already goin on the bay kinda. They got people like the jacka, hbk, e40, messy marv etc running their own shit and living way better than the average major signee. It takes a lotta capital though, thats one thing the majors have. Most banks aren't going to gamble on a music act but a label will (more than a bank anyways)

The funds are actually easy to get now , due to the economy.
We Just closed on a 'Minority-backed' Grant.... here in my town.

Last edited:
To really REALLY do it you need like 100k to mess around with. Curious how you got that grant... You go thru your city for it?

You think 50K would be too little? 20K on production and 30K on marketing.
I think 30k minimum, 100k to do it rightttt. Talkin wrapped van, shows up and down the coast, videos, merch, features and treating the radio people "nice" and all that.

Back