Microphone/Preamp

mguz11

Okay, so I have been looking to upgrade my microphone, I currently use a ADK A-51s, which is an okay mic for when I first started recording. But now I am ready to upgrade and get that sound out of my vocals i have been searching for. Can someone please point me in a direction, I have had one buddy tell me a "tube" mic is the way to go, another told me a nice condenser with a pre to compliment it is where the gravy is. Anyways I was wondering if someone could recommend me some setups. I was at a budget of $500, but I am going to go ahead and bump it up to 1k...max. I am a college student so this fund is really important to me being that i need this mic to be quality and dont want to purchase the wrong one. I need something that will take my vocals to the next level. I know 1k isnt much in the microphone/pre world but i know there are some gems out there. HELP!

I wouldn't spend that 1K on a Mic. I'd buy the best preamp you can for your budget. I good preamp can make a crappy mic sound good, but likewise a crappy preamp and make a good mic sound crappy.

hmm, alright. So which pre amps would be ideal to use? I guess what im looking for would be warmth and clarity.

yeah that does look like a pretty decent pre, i will have to look more into that one. Thanks for the suggestion

Back