Ableton Live MPC Chop

JBlongz

Media Producer SuperGeek
To the producers and engineers who are looking for a route away from the MPC, Ableton live trumps ALL of its features. Here is one of the commonly sought function...the sample chop: [video=youtube;<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/BnW2nhxbwp0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/BnW2nhxbwp0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

Last edited:
A couple of issues

Nice video JBlongz! I followed along with what you were doing but i have a couple of issues. First issue is the mpc style preset I made and gave a name to, is not showing up in the drop down list for slicing presets. Second issue is when I right click on my sample I want to chop, it does'nt give me the option to "slice to midi track". Does it have to be a particular audio file for me to get that option? I did get the option when right clicking on a rex file. That's when I saw that my present wasn't there. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Mak sure you save it in the defaults folder I showed in the library. Also make sure you are running at least 8.0.1.

Yeah, I have 8.1. I went to the Ableton library folder, defaults, slicing ect. Maybe a step I missed. Back to the drawing board. Thanks

nice video. never thought about setting the macros for sample start+end. the only thing i dont like about that is how it affects all the samples and not just the one you have selected

is there a way to work the macro so that it's only working on one simpler in the chain?

Ok, in order for the slice to midi track option to show when you right click the sample I think you have to have warp enabled and your loop poins set. And, I believe you can only warp mp3 files. As for why the preset I made not showing up in the drop down window for slicing preset is beyond me. Can anyone help a brutha out?

Great vid, JBlongz. I've been a user of Live since vers. 3, but only during the past year have I been trying to seriously learn it's depth of features. Thanks for the knowledge!

nice video. never thought about setting the macros for sample start+end. the only thing i dont like about that is how it affects all the samples and not just the one you have selected

is there a way to work the macro so that it's only working on one simpler in the chain?

+1 this... without this ability it is pretty pointless assigning the macros, because you cant use them to change the pitch or sample start etc of individual chops.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

*edit* Okay, after some googling, I found someone with the same issue on the ableton forums, and it looks like its possible, in fact someone made some presets you can download and try it with. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but will post back with my findings when I do.

I can't post links yet, but if you google this as is:

ableton live macro map mode individual selected

you will find it as the first link.

*edit* I gave it a quick try and it seems to work... just not sure how yet, will post back when I've had more of a fiddle and peruse. :)

When I saw this post I was excited! Then I got depressed, now I am excited again! This turns my trigger finger + ableton live into an mpc, now what do I need my mpc1000 for? *smashes it up*

ok, now I got depressed again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so I hear that you guys want to set certain simpler parameters individually? Its really simple..just leave out the macro setting. Remember the the purpose of macros in this video is to control a particular parameter of ALL slices. Otherwise, each slice's parameters can already be set individually to a midi control!

So once again, don't create a macro unless you want the parameter to control all slices at once.

Back