Why do my beats suck?

ozbeats

Yo Oz Beats again...

Im making beats for 3 1/2 years now , and i cant bring my beats in the level that i want to hear.
I dont understand what do i do wrong.
I mix everything...Master..But i cant say: Wow that beat is bangin as hell.
When im listening to my most favorite Producers and biggest influnces like Alchemist , Dj Premier
man they use only kick,snare,hi hat,bassline in most of there beats.
First of all i want to tell you how i start with the beatmaking.
I make beats with FL 9 by the way.
1.Opening Soundgoodizer,Parametriq EQ 2,Soft Clipper,Fruity Limiter,Fruity Compressor to make it sounding nice in
the beatmaking process
2.Chop the sample
3.Make a drum pattern ( Layering Drums)
4.Set the levels right
5.Adding a baseline
6.Mix the drums,sample and everything
Here it starts.Im feelin very unhappy with the beat.It sounds very bad and it sounds so empty , i tried everything Boost the low frequencies of the sample and all this stuff.
7.I play with the EQ , Limiter , Compressor in the Master Track to try to make that beat sound nice ( But it doesnt work )
But after i failed 6-7 times , sometimes i make very nice beats.I dont know but the drums fit.It sounds Good sometimes to my ears.
https://soundcloud.com/stream Here is my soundcloud.I have some beats in there.They are soundin OK.But i want to make bangin beats when i sit down and making a beat.

I need so much help man , i love making music but im getting frustrated haha :D
Helppppppppppppppppppppp

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
Your beats suck because you are yet to learn how to manipulate the audio to its fullest potential. A wise man once said that it isn't the tool itself, it is the artist behind the canvas. Analogy: I'm a painter, the canvas is my DAW, I use my brain and utensil to bring to life what is in my mind.

Practice and really hone on the skills you lack, learn what FX to use and how to use it and time will really help with your productions.

I use FL Studio 10 and all of the native plugins and my stuff sounds pretty good to me: Tallen The Beatsmith's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Looks like you need a few things: drops, buildups, irregularities, silences, etc. Try ozone for mastering. Go on youtube and download some flps from producers so you can see how they arrange, and try the different things that they do.

A main thing I've realized with making beats is to start with great high quality sounds. Drum samples should be clear and clean. I've also noticed that mixing can either make or break a record. I've remixed songs of mine from long ago that make have been less appealing and turned them into great pieces of work. Just continue to actively listen to your favorite songs and learn. No matter how long or how good one is, there is always tricks to learn.

Mixing and compression is key. Check out pensadosplace.tv for tons of mixing tips..... And the biggest thing that helped me was using a bitcrusher, some compression, and cutting the low frequencies out of EVERYTHING except kick and bass. I even roll those off between 30hz and 80hz because it will just bang more.....counter intuitive i know but it works. Keep at it. I've been making beats since 1998 and I still struggle with alot of things.

Use high quality samples. I personally like my drums tight and punchy, so SSL compressors get the job done. If you are limited to software, Waves API EQ + SSL compression plugins will give results.

I can understand were you're coming from dude, I feel, but you shouldn't compare yourself to bigger artists etc, that'll bring you down ( I know I do that all the time) try experimenting with your own sound, doing something different, like when I use FL 11 I just enthrall myself in the music, just you know throw yourself in, you could suprise yourself

Oh yeah, I no negative thoughts while making music, never doubt yourself.

You suck because you have not trained your ears and your imagination to work together. You most likely cannot hear the melodies and frequencies that separate crappy music from a masterpiece. Learn to listen to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!! All day long, not just musically, you need to be actively listening to the sounds that are around you. When you listen to music that you like I want you to focus on just listening to the music and not try to hard to break down and analyze all the parts. A lot of producers do this in an effort to recreate what they hear but what that does is train your mind to analyze mode instead of listening. YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY CREATE GREAT MUSIC!!! <--remember this.

You suck because you have not trained your ears and your imagination to work together. You most likely cannot hear the melodies and frequencies that separate crappy music from a masterpiece. Learn to listen to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!! All day long, not just musically, you need to be actively listening to the sounds that are around you. When you listen to music that you like I want you to focus on just listening to the music and not try to hard to break down and analyze all the parts. A lot of producers do this in an effort to recreate what they hear but what that does is train your mind to analyze mode instead of listening. YOU CANNOT LOGICALLY CREATE GREAT MUSIC!!! <--remember this.
So how are you to put something down you are listening to in your head if you can't actually do it on program? That's my problem right now and it's frustratingly confusing

Best thing to do is find the style your trying to produce and watch youtube videos. There will most probably be so much that you dont currently know that will help you get that awesome sound.

Try play around with all the effects you can, if done well it can really pull the beats quality up too !!

Stop using soundgoodizer, believe me i used to use it all the time thinking it was amazing, its a piece of crap, it ruins your whole mix.
also dont use compressors all the time as it can hurt your dynamics, only compress if it needs to be compressed, dont compress because thats what everyones doing

Last edited:
@ OP, your beats suck because either...

A. you're taking advice from the wrong people and trying to give them to the wrong artists or...
B. This isn't the sound you want.

Because from what I heard...your beats don't "suck". Don't even need much polishing depending on the sound you're aiming for.

That "The Vent" melody is ****ing amazing man. Im gonna check out some more of your stuff.

Your beats suck because you are yet to learn how to manipulate the audio to its fullest potential. A wise man once said that it isn't the tool itself, it is the artist behind the canvas. Analogy: I'm a painter, the canvas is my DAW, I use my brain and utensil to bring to life what is in my mind.

Practice and really hone on the skills you lack, learn what FX to use and how to use it and time will really help with your productions.

I use FL Studio 10 and all of the native plugins and my stuff sounds pretty good to me: Tallen The Beatsmith's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world

Back