Where knob should I lower if sound is too loud??

Dennis1990

In Fl Studio there are 2 knobs for volume.

One in the step sequencer

And the other is the send it to an insert in the mixer

Does it matter which one I use to lower the volume of a sound???

Im use to lowering the volume on the step sequencer but I feel like I should use the volumes more on the mixer.

Is there any difference on the use of the step sequencer volume and the mixer volume???

The difference is that the knob in the step sequencer sets the input volume for any plugins on the channel, while the volume fader in the mixerchannel sets the output volume.

I'd recommend you to only use the knobs in the step sequencer to make sure you have a good input volumes to your plugins (especially if you have any analog-style plugins), and not using it to mix the sounds volumewise.
The reason why is that you probably have a bunch of plugins inserted on the mixerchannel, and if you change the sequencer knob, you may drastically change the sound, and not to mention that it probably won't deliver as precise volume changes as you would with the mixerfader.

I usually put the first volume to 100% to make sure my sounds have full energy and are hitting nicely. Then I use the mixer volume to do the actual mixing of the beat.

Back