What key would these chords be in???

V

Valley

Just a quickey for anyone who knows basic theory: I'm working on a project with someone and they are going to want to know what key the peice is in.

The chords are mainly Em D C G and the odd Bm.
So er, what key would that be in.

Anyone know?

Probably Em (just Fsharp in the key signature, like Gmajor - it's the relative minor of G). If the chords revolve around the Em (i.e. that's what you start and end on) then I will say that I'm 99.6578% sure that it's Em.

KasioRoks

Cheers. Yep, it starts and ends on Em and it's trancey so the chords are fairly lucky to escape to C, D, and Bm if you ask me.

If the 0.3422% chance comes up that it's something else I'll pretend it uses some jazz mode that he's never heard of.

:cheers:

Of course you would have G, Bm and D chords in E minor. G major and E minor contain the same notes, they're parallel keys.

G major scale would be: g, a, b, c, d, e, f#
E minor would be: e, f#, g, a, b, c, d

so there.

G major and E minor are the same keys essentially.

E minor scale is e, f#, g, a, b, c, d#

Get it right!

If they were the same scales, it would be the same key. Obviously.

Last edited:
Does this help?

Melody notes and (chords the notes are played over):

G E (Em), F# D (D), E (C), C B (G or Bm)

I'd have attached a quick mp3 but I can't see how to do it.

I'm positive it's G major. Music theory comes naturally when your dad's a music teacher. And i've played enough piano scales to tell you every one backwards. Boredom thy name is piano lessons! :rolleyes:

Thanks. And d21, it must be good to know theory. If I knew some I wouldn't have to be asking what I realise is a very basic question. Mostly it doesn't matter cos I make music by myself -- but as soon as a joint project comes up, (with someone on another continent), you begin to wish you could talk a common language. It's not essential, but it can help.

:hello:

Mattu and d21 are both right about the Em scale.

Mattu was reciting the Natural minor while
d21 gave the Harmonic scale (the d#).

There is also a Melodic minor with both c# and d#.

Lets not forget our basics :)

The point d21 is trying to make is that even though Gmaj and Emin are relative scales, they are not the SAME scale.

I agree that they are not the same scale. However... these chords could exist in both E minor and G major, in this instance, it depends on what chords you start and end on. If the sequence ended on a D, and started with G, yes, it would most definetely be in G.

However, it looks like the progression started in Em, and ended in Bm... the Bm doesn't really fit into classical theory, but I don't think that we are talking about classical theory. I believe that in electronic music cadences aren't such a big deal. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I would tend to think that the key you are in is E minor, especially if you start with an E minor chord. technically, yes, it would fit better in G major, but... I guess as has been stated, you are in a mode here... so if it helps the person you're collaborating with: the mode it's in is E aeolian? Otherwise, just say it's in E natural minor... that should clear up ALL confusion.

bah, this is ridicolous... E (natural) minor or G major = same notes.

True, but that doesn't mean to say that it's in E minor, although beginning and ending on E minor would suggest that it is. I'm tending to think that it probably modulates between the 2 keys, however its hard to tell without hearing the piece of music. Anyway, the point is that if you say the key signature is that of G major then any confusion will be avoided (i.e. accidentals etc.)

a song wouldn't modulate between keys that quickly. If it did, it wouldn't be modulating anyway, it'd be tonicizing and to tonicize between a minor key and it's parallel Major wouldn't make sense. They have the same notes (e natural minor... not harmonic or melodic minor... and G Major). so unless there's a cadence to show GMajor, then it didn't modulate.

it's e minor, I think we're analyzing this simple progression way too much.

furthermore...

if you say a piece of music is in e minor, you are saying it's in the natural minor. You can't have a piece of music in a melodic or harmonic minor key... what would the key signature be?
You can have a piece of music that uses exclusively the notes in the harmonic or melodic minor, but it would still be in the key of the natural minor

i personally thought it was in g major to begin with but alas me being the uneducated dolt i am...that Em starting off threw me for a loop...

this is exactly why i dont try n use triads and what not...give me monophonic instruments or give me something easier

Ignorance is bliss ....

d21 said:
E minor scale is e, f#, g, a, b, c, d#

Get it right!

If they were the same scales, it would be the same key. Obviously.
If you check out some sheet music of a piece in Em you'll notice it has only one sharp, Fsharp, in the key signature (the same as Gmajor). If the piece uses the harmonic minor scale then the Dsharp will be shown with an accidental (often pieces move between the natural minor and harmonic minor).

Originally posted by dj funkifize
it's e minor, I think we're analyzing this simple progression way too much

Yep, completely agree, hence my 99.blah% statement - you can talk around this stuff for days, but the reality is that this is almost certainly in Em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back