Ugly sounding Chords

S

scarbies

I use the built in 3-osc synth in Fruityloops to create my synths but Im sure this applies to any soft synth. With regards to the presets of this synth, it seems that to get the synth sounding a bit more "analog" each of the 3 oscillators are slighty detuned from each other which sounds fine when playing a single note (which is comprised of the 3-oscillators playing together) but as soon as I try and play a chord is sounds all nasty as the detuning creates dissonance. (When playing a triad, then there will be 9 oscillators running, 3 on each note). Suppose what Im asking is how to make a fat sounding pad, synth, lead whatever? Should I maybe use another soft synth that has less oscillators? Any other useful tips about flanging and chorus welcome!
Cheers,
ScarbieS

Well, why don't you try lessening the de-tune between the 3 oscillators? Another thing to try is to detune the third oscillator down exactly one octave from the 1st. A lot of 3-oscillator synths use this setup.

If I detune the 3 oscillators less then it doesnt sound as good. Not fat enough. I suppose thats part of the prob. But Ill try detune the 3rd one an octave. Shot
ScarbieS

Then try running the synth through a chorus, this will give it a much fatter sound without being so horribly out of tune.

you could try layering up another pad sound on top, which can provide a lot of interest and fatness.
;)
strigg

if you are playing chords, dont detune the oscillators unless you are doing it in increments of an octave or two, the extra notes will thicken it up.
by detune you are really adding an extra note to the sound which adds to the fattness but makes a soup when you play a chord, with three diff tunes oscillators and a three note chord that 9 notes at once which

not sure what happened there, seems to have lopped off the end of my message and transformed my text into staccatto.
oh well, apologies for the poor sentence structure, spelling, grammar, punctuation etc etc.
cant be bothered retyping, you will get the jist i hope

Back