Rules with Bassline ?

AKStyleZ

sup fellas

Im sittin here workin on a beat and for first time in quite some time Im having minor difficulties settin the bassline.
Anywayz, Im wondering is there any rules when it comes to the bassline, cuz I been all this time just followin my own guts and It been workin out so far, was just curious though

peace

A bassline generally follows the same rules as any other music notes. You use the key signature of whatever key the song is in to determine what notes will sound good when arranged together.

Google or search on here for scales and key signatures.

The easiest - not necessarily the best though - way is simply to have the bass play the root note of whatever chord is playing at the time, and make the actual bassline interesting with rhythmic changes. You can then just build on this foundation, adding stuff (like some small licks or phrases, built on the chord) or taking unnecessary things away. Usually - unless the bassline is the lead element - it's a good idea to keep it really simple.

Ye thats what i been doin so far, think im more struggling with finding the right bass then the actual rhytm, anyhow thx fellas appriciate it

Sometimes when I'm having a hard time with a baseline I grab the headphone put them over my temples and just see what it feels like. When I'm working on smaller speakers it's hard to get the vibe of how the bass (lo end) feels. Low end can really make people move. If I get a good feeling in my head. I check it on the monitors and make what ever adjustments I need. Sounds weird but it works when I'm stuck on the bass.

ok here's something i use as a rule of thumb:-

Put the root note, of the Chord playin, in sync with the kick drum!

This works 90% of the time for me..I ALWAYS use this when in doubt..the works WAY better than tryin anythin fancy..

Just my 2 million dollars ;-)

I agree. Root notes always sound good. Often you don't need much more than that, and perhaps a 5th here and there.

ok here's something i use as a rule of thumb:-

Put the root note, of the Chord playin, in sync with the kick drum!

This works 90% of the time for me..I ALWAYS use this when in doubt..the works WAY better than tryin anythin fancy..

Just my 2 million dollars ;-)

Yes he's right. Root note of chord and just hit note when kick is hitting or you can vibe of the drums. Most pop songs basslines are simple like this and work all the time.

The easiest - not necessarily the best though - way is simply to have the bass play the root note of whatever chord is playing at the time, and make the actual bassline interesting with rhythmic changes. You can then just build on this foundation, adding stuff (like some small licks or phrases, built on the chord) or taking unnecessary things away. Usually - unless the bassline is the lead element - it's a good idea to keep it really simple.

I agree. Keep the bass line on the root key. A good trik is to have your kick drum trigger your bass and have your main lead control the key of the bass. Typicall in a hip hop song the base will hit with the kick.

It comes down to 2 simple Rules. 1. 90 percent of the time you should start the bass note with the root note of the melody. and 2. make sure you follow the scale- minor or major, this way you will know how to find your way back to the root when playin along with your song.

Back