The REAL "Easy Way To Start A Song" Thread

Salem Beats

Ki from Salem-Beats.com
1. Go to your local supermarket.

2. Pick a type of alcohol that tastes good to you. You'll need a lot of it.

3. After consuming aforementioned alcohol, bang on random sets of keys. Hopefully you're by yourself, because this is going to get annoying.

4. Eventually, you have banged on random keys long enough that you have become annoyed with yourself. This is an important step. Your conscious mind has always sought structure and meaning, but now your unconscious mind seeks the same.

5. Keep banging on random sets of keys, but pay attention to the few occasional sets that stand out from the rest. Notice the approximate position of your hand when you hear these interesting harmonies.

6. Without worrying about note names or any music theory you've ever learned, close your eyes and try to recall your hand positions for the few chords that you found interesting. Play these shapes, modifying them in rhythm and harmony until you are satisfied.

7. You should be sobering up by the time you've reached this step. (unless alcohol hits you harder than it hits me!)
Up to this point, your unconscious mind has been forced to explore new avenues. The conscious mind, subdued by alcohol, hasn't had the chance to guide the unconscious mind into any of the boring, predictable patterns that it has established over time.
But these new patterns have a meaningless structure. Now is the time to allow your conscious mind to bring structure to your new creation.

8. You're 100% sober now. Add, subtract, modify, repeat. It's as simple as that. Add new parts, subtract any old parts that don't fit with the new parts, and modify your existing parts to adjust to the context of the new parts.

9. It's very likely that your song won't sound anything like what you started with by the time you're through. At the same time, however, it's likely that it will sound good. A part of you might feel disappointed, like you just reacted to whatever happened in your music instead of following a "grand master plan". You might even get this eerie feeling inside you that your music is foreign and that it was written by a higher power (Mozart, I believe, used to say this frequently), a cosmic consciousness, etc.

10. You're done!
Well...
With this step, at least.
The mixing stage up ahead requires a different frame of mind.
The mastering stage after that requires yet another.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Actually, I'd just take a bunch of monkey and have them bang out the keyboards, then just sit back with the booze and wait for symphonies to come out. The lil' suckers don't understand the copyright law anyway.

I can honestly say I've composed some of my best material with a slight buzz, or from being over tired (pretty much the same feeling).

I don't endorse being drunk in order to be talented, but like you said when the conscious mind is subdued there's nothing to really hinder you from sticking to what you "know" should sound good.

Back