Problems with lead sound design

SanMat

Hi all!

I'm having some real difficulties with sound design for my lead sounds and I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm able to make a complete track but always get stuck on the lead. Stacking chords, making bassline and so on is not an issue and I can make a pretty decent track. But I always struggle with the lead! And this to an extent that I've sometimes even given up on making leads on certain tracks.

The problem is not the melody but rather the sound design. I simply can't get the lead sounds to sound good or fit well in the track. It's no difference if I'm using preset sounds, tweaking the preset sounds or making my own sounds.

I work in FL Studio and I'm mainly working with Serum and Sylenth1.

I would be grateful for any advice, tips or tricks anyone could give me!

Thanks!
SanMat

Here is one of my projects in an early stage. Trying to get the lead melody to fit but it just sounds awful to me.

/SanMat

Attachments

• 11111.mp3
    721.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi!

I don't think it sound so horrible, but yes, the melody instrument sound too weak for a lead.

For me this is not a "lead" sound but a "key" sound. A "key" sound do not have big sustain by default. Leads are, in my opinion, more continuous, and the sound must be stronger.

Back