Primo, Pete Rock snare eq?

H

HathRisen

I am interested in which frequencies I should boost and/or cut to get that snappy snare eq that Primo Pete Rock Large Pro Diamond ect... have. It seems like those guys always have the perfect frequencies tuned in on their snares. Any of you have some ideas about eqing for that dusty snappy sound? Also any other tricks like layering ect..in this catagory would be nice to. My snares always sound cool but not quite that cool...yet!
sp12
mpc

Are you using dusty snares? it's not just about EQ, but the quality of sample.

Yeah I've got all types of nice snares but still they are not sitting in the mix with the same power as say Preme always does... I know it's part eq part compression. Was hoping some of you could let me know if there are any specifics to get it nailed. Also do any of you wash a light reverb over the drums to gel different samples together? if so how so and why or why not?

1. IMO alot of that ole PeteRock and Primo snare sound has to do with the SP1200 and MPC60 a/d's. Ive heard newer Pete Rock stuff done with the 2000XL and it does lack those snappin sanres.

2. Check out Digidesign.com's DigiZine, it has articles on making your snares snap that Ive used and know work, it gives you the ratios and everything. Im to lazy to find what month it was, but give it a go. Even though they talk about doing it on PT the advice they give can be applied to rack compressors as well.

3. Adjust the EQ, a easy cop out with snappin snares is a fast attack and slow decay with the mids turned up and the highs completely cut.

4. Good luck.

True, the SP snare sound and the the MPC's is different. I was letting somebody hear my older beats made with the SP the other day. The difference was outstanding. I'm determined to hook my SP back up. I like the MPC's timing, but the SP just get's in that azz.

any of you find that the sp samplez a little quiet? No wonder the drums sound dusty, you have to amplify any signal going in into oblivion. or maybe its just my sp. today i have been running a side by side test between the sp1200, the mpc 4000, and the studio 440. With the original kick drum sample coming out of the 4000 nice and heavy. I actually found some degradation and an inferior sound from the sp1200 after the re-sample, while the studio 440 sounded much hotter signal wise, seeming to add some compression to the kick and also bass response grew noticabley. The 440 definately gave the punchiest results. Keep in mind that all of the machines were running without compression or eq on any of the kicks. The playing field was level. The Sp unfortunately got much noisier results because i had to crank a preamp to get to the desired hot sampling volume on the way in. Also the sp immedidately lost all of it's top end(except for static) but did indeed retain it's grit and clunk on the low end. With the studio 440, I sampled the same kick at 16khz(adding unnatural frequencies in the highend, slightly piercing and a bit noticable) 32khz (no added high frequencies, but top end filtered-sounding, very punchy) and 42khz (true top end, crystal clear and absolutely devastating, immediately showing improvements over the original sample!) the Studio 440 samples at 12bits and did not need a preamp for the incoming signal during resample.

I usually get the really snapping sound by taking a cheesier sounding snare that is very compressed and then gating it so that there is no release at all. I usally eq the higher frequencies to get a bit more tat in it. Sometimes I'll go from there and layer a real sounding snare over top. Not sure how most do it but it seems to work for me. If you want the bap just get rid of the release by using a gate effect, no reverb.

heres a wierd idea!!!!!

learn to play drums ...or get a drummer friend .......tune the snare...... and record it .......much more rewarding .....plus its not stealing and quite creative !!!!!!...oh and takes a bit of talent

peace

chuckle

alright tankzappa, lets see if i got that right:

sampling is considered stealing by you?
what a horrible state we are in, if thats true

live drums forever!
i have a yamaha snare, and i cut out a piece of 3-layer cardboard and put it on the sweet spot, very strange snare sample i can use now.

ok maybe saying it was stealing was a bit harsh.....

i'll rephrase it and just say its lazy....... playing what you wanna record takes talent ...and if you can't play the instrument you wanna record ..go get some friends who can!!!!

peace

oohh i'm a bad lad :hello:

tankzappa you have no idea about what sampling is all about. Somehow you got lost and ended up on my thread but kid get a clue. Sequencing and programing with SAMPLES is art, its technique and talent which is why we are here discussing it. There's nothing wrong with sampling from live sources but essentially most accoustic drum samplez began with a live drum kit, regardless of whether I recorded it personally or not. Think about it. It's a bit presumptuous or just plain stupid to think that we all have instant access to various drum kits whenever a need arises. hiphop is what we make it from wherever we take it and remangle it. I believe the country music forum is down the hall...:hello:

Last edited by a moderator:
tankzappa said:
ok maybe saying it was stealing was a bit harsh.....

i'll rephrase it and just say its lazy....... playing what you wanna record takes talent ...and if you can't play the instrument you wanna record ..go get some friends who can!!!!

peace

oohh i'm a bad lad :hello:

this is hip hop music *****! fly van allen beat rearrangement of pre meditated atoms from the age of enlightened heights, circa 1962-1978 A.D.(), ideas in orbit nukka, channeling skill/intelligence quotient, ghetto architects, rebuilding the ionic funk factor for a time period (A.D.2003() lacking movement/soul to reguide the blind.

this is hip hop music *****! fly van allen beat rearrangement of pre meditated atoms from the age of enlightened heights, circa 1962-1978 A.D.(), ideas in orbit nukka, channeling skill/intelligence quotient, ghetto architects, rebuilding the ionic funk factor for a time period (A.D.2003() lacking movement/soul to reguide the blind.

i'm ever so sorry young chap ...but i just read what you posted and it can only be described as nonsense ........
so not only do you use samples ..but you struggle with english ...my suggestion for you is to read music and learn english, german, latin and french all in one ....oh and lets not forget about the maths hey !!!!??

oooooooh i really am a nasty pastie!!!

peace

Doubling with a stick can be helpful. Eq in the lo and hi mids can give you snap with the body. 900hz up to and including 5khz helps. Compression is also key remember alot of those joints are mixed on SSL's with that great poppin compression on every channel. Finally the it starts with the right snare sound. The right sample is key.
And you are only getting those sounds out of samples. Synth snares don't hip hop usually. A good one can be found on that old joint "gangta b*tch"

:cheers:

tankzappa said:

i'm ever so sorry young chap ...but i just read what you posted and it can only be described as nonsense ........
so not only do you use samples ..but you struggle with english ...my suggestion for you is to read music and learn english, german, latin and french all in one ....oh and lets not forget about the maths hey !!!!??

oooooooh i really am a nasty pastie!!!

peace

a nasty pastie??? case closed.

tank is some kind of Fat Bastard Austin Powers wannabe. duke you are a joke

whatever you say about hip hop being art is wrong ..ok fair enough some wicked producers out there elliot/ timberland/neptunes/ dre and even mathers to a degree....
but still even all these people are musical thieves....i dont see how taking someone elses recording of a drum fill/ rythym or a brass break and beat mapping it (which is so easy a child could do it) and then attaching it as a block to the front of some pooey repetetive bass line that loops every four bars and then getting some dude to tlka over it....i'm sorry but the talented one there is rapper and the samples you've knicked.......... i love some rappers and think rapping is an art ...from the last poets to 50cent i like a wide range............but be honest with me PLEASE how many samples have you taken from records and cd's of other artists and placed them in your songs and not got clearance ...or not acknowledged them because you've turned it around or filtered and snipped ....its not on !!!!!
tank is some kind of Fat Bastard Austin Powers wannabe. duke you are a joke

and as far as thats concerned ..i really think you are mistaking me for someone who gives a s**t

peace

Back