Piano "sonata" no. 2 - opinions?

O

olsonuf

I starting writing this on 6/20 and worked a few more hours on it on 6/21. The beginning of it was originally in another piece but it was the start of a new strange key change, so I took it out and started writing this piece around it.

Right now, I still have to adjust many of the velocities and definitely do a lot more tweaking of the tempo track, not to mention write a lot more of the composition itself, as it is only about 1:11 long at the moment.

Though it is far from finished, what are your thoughts about this piece so far? Any pointers? Anyone a virtuoso pianist who can give me some pointers on technique that could help me make this sound more real?

Last edited by a moderator:
jesus u a monster compare to me nice **** man god danm. but you just playing keys no real music a snese of something or maybe i dont understand wtf is a sonata but anyway that my thought.

Actually, it is not me playing, it is a piece I am composing via MIDI, using piano samples. I wish I could play that well, but my writing far exceeds my playing ability, unfortunately.

A Sonata is a form of instrumental classical piece, usually in several movements, for either a solo instrument or a small ensemble.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...lla:en-US:official&oi=defmore&q=define:Sonata

I intend for this piece to eventually qualify to be considered a Sonata. For now, I am just composing with counterpoint and seeing how far I can go with it.

Thanks for listening to the piece! Much more to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
can one person actually sit down and play something like this or would it require multiple people?

i don't know much about piano, but this sounds good to my ears.

I let my keyboardist in Todesbonden hear this yesterday. He is a classical pianist and said some parts would be very hard, and that my writing style for keyboard is not very friendly on the hands, but it could be done by a good enough pianist with enough practice.

I like to run my keyboard pieces by him because I think he is an awesome pianist and plus he is usually eager to try to play them, knowing they're going to be hard.

So yes, I think one good enough pianist can do this.

But, you gave me an idea! Thanks! Now I need to get my hands dirty trying to write a piece for two pianos. LOL

Thanks for your comment, and thanks for listening! :D

yeah man, nice
it sounds good. As far as making it sound more real, I would say have a pianist record it. Trying to make the midi sound real would take up so much time that it would be pointless if you're going to have someone play it. And it sounds like you know someone who'd be happy to play it. But I do know what it's like... wanting to hear it perfectly and realistically as soon as possible :) But if it is something that you can get played, it would save you a lot of time to just write it and not worry about making it sound real.

As far as the composition itself is concerned, I think it's a little tame harmonically. But it is only the first minute here, so I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. I like it.
-Mike

Back