Orchestra or Synthesizer?

E

Entee

How do most people produce them soundtracks?
Is it an orchestra recording or do they use synthesizers?

Iam asking because i heard and sample of what the xv-5080 can do and it sounded so much like a OST or sum sort.

Entee said:

Iam asking because i heard and sample of what the xv-5080 can do and it sounded so much like a OST or sum sort.

Most big budget soundtracks will be all live orchestra with maybe a few samples thrown in somewhere along the way if the recording has been finished and they need something extra in the mix.

With lower budget films, there is more chance of there being sounds coming from samples/synths because they don't necessarily have the cash to hire a full orchestra.

...but most of what you hear in the feature films at the movie theaters is live orchestrations.

Electroic movie scores were a big trend in the 80's. Check out Vangelis and i believe Hans Zimmer did lots of synth stuff back then too? Bladerunner ost is great.

Sharkman said:
Electroic movie scores were a big trend in the 80's. Check out Vangelis and i believe Hans Zimmer did lots of synth stuff back then too? Bladerunner ost is great.
nah nah
iam talking about quality scores. sumthing like gladiator or sumthing.

it's pretty common for composers to do a mock-up score with a fleet of samplers as they r writing, then once various themes are approved by the producers they can start recording the real orchestra

Darko said:
it's pretty common for composers to do a mock-up score with a fleet of samplers as they r writing, then once various themes are approved by the producers they can start recording the real orchestra

This (as well as 99% of the other responses in this thread) has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand...

...which is (paraphrased): With regard to orchestral film scores, can you name any that do not use actual live recorded orchestras playing the actual piece of music (i.e., ones that use synth strings, sampled instruments, etc). This does not include electronic scores because obviously they use synths. This does not include rock scores because those are obviously not orchestras, either. We are talking about orchestral scores that are intended to sound like live orchestras.

"You can literally do just about everything with one GigaStudio... it's become the central nervous system of my studio."
- Trevor Rabin (Enemy of the State, Torque)

"GigaStudio has changed everything... there is no limit now to what can be sampled."
- Christopher Young (Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Runaway Jury)

"There's no more dedicated sampling - that to me is a very old idea now."
- Jeff Rona (White Squall, Exit Wounds)

"I abuse GigaStudio on a daily basis - it's my main sampler."
- Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, The Last Samurai)

Most movie scores are not orchestras but software samplers. Eg. Gigastudio with VSL, EWQL, Garritan, or other sampled orchestra libraries.

Last edited:
dvyce said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand...

U sure? cuz the question i read was

Entee said:

and while he said soundtracks, they are just songs so i figured he meant the score since he's talkin'about orchestras. I seen the makings of hundreds of movies and researched the subject so it might not be exactly what he's lookin' 4 but it's answered @ least one of his questions. There's a million ways to score a movie, just like regular music, but i still see full orchestras on the special features of many DVDs. Sorry to butt in on other people's conversations tho.

Darko said:

U sure? cuz the question i read was

Entee said:

and while he said soundtracks, they are just songs so i figured he meant the score since he's talkin'about orchestras. I seen the makings of hundreds of movies and researched the subject so it might not be exactly what he's lookin' 4 but it's answered @ least one of his questions. There's a million ways to score a movie, just like regular music, but i still see full orchestras on the special features of many DVDs. Sorry to butt in on other people's conversations tho.

Yes, I am sure. But I see the problem, though... the question you read (according to what you quoted) was only half of his question... and not even the relevant part of his question.

His actual full unedited question was this:

Entee said:

...He is asking because he heard a sample of the XV-5080 and it sounds to him like what he hears in movie soundtracks... and he would like to know if, in fact, people do use the XV-5080 (or other orchestral synths/ orchestral sound modules) in film scores, or whether film composers only use real live orchestras.

So, to say whether a composer does a "mock-up score" before recording the actual score has no relevance. Since nobody will ever hear this "mock-up score" and it is not the actual score you hear in the film, any synth sounds or samples used to make this "mock-up" are of no interest because when his question is "this synth sounds like what I hear in film scores, is this synth actually what I am hearing in film scores?" whatever crappy sounds a composer uses in a "mock-up" don't matter.

... it is as relevant as saying "some composers write their scores on paper before the orchestra plays them" or "I like roast beef sandwiches."

And, keep in mind, I am not saying that what you said was not accurate (sure, it is common for a composer to do some sort of mock-up music before recording the final score)... I am only saying it had nothing to do with the question.

I read the whole question. He asked how are they produced. production starts with writing and mock-ups to test how they sound and get approval from the producers/director, no? He asked orchestra or synth/samples and I let him know that the production process can involve both.

I quoted half of it 'cuz I delete the parts from quotes after the question. it makes for cleaner posts with less noise.

I can't always fully answer people's posts 'cuz i'm far from a genius. I still try to help to the best of my ability if i can bring up points nobody else has.

As far as i know he might want to get into professional scoring someday with a real orchestra, but if all he can afford is a xv-5080 then he could still "mock up" a score like they do. even if a movie is released with a sampler and/or synth soundtrack, it is usually "mocking" an orchestra, but if it makes you happy, i'll do my best not to post anymore irrelevant info.

once again, when you take one part of the question out of context ("how do most people produce them soundtracks") and respond to it, you are not actually answering the question.

The part you disregarded was not "noise" but in fact, was actually the most important part of the question... the essence of the question... the part that actually explained what he was asking.

It is like if I asked "How do you drive a car? you know, there are 2 pedals, which is the gas and which one is the brake. I think the gas is on the right, is that correct?" and you responded with "How do you drive a car? first adjust the seat and check the mirrors. Put the key in the ignition, make sure nobody is behind you, turn the key, put the car in drive and start driving."

OK, but that doesn't answer my question at all... is the gas pedal the one on the right? That is what I was asking!"

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but there were just so many posts that were cluttering up the thread where people didn't even seem to read the question... it was very frustrating... no offence.

...for instance, when someone resopnds to the question "what traditional orchestral style scores were done using synth strings?" and you get responses like "the Beverly Hills Cop score is totally done with synths"

wow, is this a production forum or a 'see how quickly we can ruin a thread with symantics arguments' contest ?!

fuquan said:
wow, is this a production forum or a 'see how quickly we can ruin a thread with symantics arguments' contest ?!

it's not semantics... it is absolutely about actual relevance to the question asked.

Read the whole original question... if you can't understand what he is asking, then I don't know what to tell you. If you can't see that he is asking a completely different question than what a lot of people are posting as an answer, then I don't know what to tell you.

It is not a matter of semantics when 1 question is being asked and a totally different one is being answered.

This is not "6 of one, a half dozen of another"... this is "apples and oranges"

ok my bad symantics wasnt the right word, but for christ's sake next time just ignore it, resulting in 1 irrelevant post as opposed to the 2 pages this now takes up.

he was trying to help and added his two cents to one of the questions he saw.
i didnt see a "THIS IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR WHOLE POST" prefacing it

Last edited:
fuquan said:
ok my bad symantics wasnt the right word, but for christ's sake next time just ignore it, resulting in 1 irrelevant post as opposed to the 2 pages this now takes up.

he was trying to help and added his two cents to one of the questions he saw.
i didnt see a "THIS IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR WHOLE POST" prefacing it

OK, he should have prefaced it with "THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR QUESTION, BUT..."

Back