My weakest part as a producer....THE ARRANGEMENT !

I don't think you can get very far looking at music as mathematical. A great piece of art (or just about anything) can be described in mathematical terms but that doesn't explain why it is a great piece of art. Mathematics can help music but I don't think it should be mistaken for music.

I think that was a good comment by T prod about a DAW possibly limiting or stunting creativity. It has advantages off course but I think it is something to watch out for.

I'm probably going to make some posts on arranging as it is little covered. I'm not even sure of the correct definition. I have my own though: Choosing the instruments and the instrument parts.

EP
u can use anything :)

^^^^ haha must have been made specially for you I guess ;)
or does that really exist ?? LOL

Last edited:
Why would someone want to learn to arrange like an idiot?

These books can also really wreck your confidence if you can't understand them. What book can you buy then?

EP

It doesn't teach u to arrange like an idiot, it just assumes that you know nothing about it and starts with the basics. How can a book wreck your arranging confidence if you're not confident arranging at all? And if a book can wreck your confidence, you got bigger problems than that.

Don't knock that which thou hasn't tried, rock chick.

When Layering your beat, record everything that's gonna on the climax of the record. The biggest part of the whole beat. Then do you're arranging work and subtract parts to arrange the rest of the beat.
thats what i do, I keep building on my beat and when I think I'm finished start the arranging...taking things out and moving stuff around

Well usually for 16 bar verse parts i'll have the beat sounding one way for 8 bars(1-8), then have a transition leading into the next 8 bars(9-16). On bars 9-16 i'll bring in another instrument playing throughout the rest of the verse to change it up. Then i'll have another transition leading into the hook/chorus.

Sometimes on 8 bar R&B choruses i'll have the beat sound one way for the first 4 bars(1-4). Then on the last 4 bars(5-8) i'll either add another instrument in or drop one out.

Wow,

Huge question, because it involves all we know about playing, recording, writing, expression, layering, sound on sound...*pant-pant*

My best advise to you is to listen to other songs in its genre if you need to find some inspiration quick. Keep in mind though that quick is relative.

There's no fast way up. If there were, we'd all be using it.

Yo,

everybody has some parts that he is somehow weak in, but the best thing to try to concentrate on the weak parts you have, recognise them and work on'em I think.
Now I dont wanna sound cocky at all but I think that I have some great melody ideas and chords, but when it comes to arrangement....bam...stuck like a hoe with no clinets in the middle of the night ;)
Anybody knows some tutorials, tips anything...cuz I think if I defeat this weakness I caould really move some things...!

Thanx alot
KB

I got some goodies for the best tips...
you can also get at me on AIM : Phlexter01

Thanks alot and all the best !

KB

Arrangement was one of the things that had me stumped in the beginning when I started out as well. Like, when to add this new sound and take this sound out...kill the drums here and bring it back in there... etc.

Sounds kinda wacky, but I like to treat my arrangement as if it were a movie. Has an intro, buildup, climax, blah blah blah, conclusion.

Telling a story thru music.

Also, you could just listen to your favorite artists and see how they do their change-ups etc.

Essentially you wanna keep the listener interested throughout the whole song. Bring new things in and take stuff out so its not too predictable. Some stuff is ok as just a 4 bar loop, but if you're doing more pop or rnb the arrangement is essential. Introducing new melodies or instruments in later verses is one way.

A lot of ppl will make a good 4 or 8 bars and then get stumped. If I'm doing pop stuff I don't like to loop too much, ill do more linear composing instead of just recording patterns. That way everything flows well into each other.

good thread..should have its own section!

i usually do the same and make the beat with all the instruments then remove things and make some changes for the intro>verse>transition>hook etc

but lately i've been trying different techniques. i definitely agree that daw do have an effect on you when producing as far as treating the arrangements as mathematical process, but it does help to turn away when playing it back..

im really good at arrangment, its definitely my best feature as a producer, which is why i am great at remixes. but, i would have to say, try and start your song simple, and as it goes make it more and more complex, oyu will start to hear things that sound great together, sometimes cut sounds halfway through and have nothing but your main melody playing, stuff like that, oyu dont want all sounds playing at the same time, introduce melodies then drums then layers ETC.

Back