Music Sounds Better With You - Vocal Processing

DiscoCarnage

This is my first post on this forum,
so let me say hi to the community all.

So guys, i got i big question for you:

Do you remeber a song called "Music Sounds Better With You" from a side project of Thomas Banglater called "StarDust" ?

If u don't, here it is:

www . youtube . com/watch?v=4YCoSF-voHY

Now there's no usable information on the net about the vocal processing method they used to achieve that amazing sound.

It's not a flanger, its not a delay chain... And im in a big need to understand what they made.

Do you have any idea ?
Thanks in Advance !

DC.

There's at least 3 productional things that jump out at me right away:

1. Side-chain compression of vocals with the kick

2. Volume automation - swells and lulls in amplitude in addition to the SC thing

3. EQing - taking out the bass and the high, a telephone like quality, albeit not so radical or obvious

BUT, the whole gist of the success of this track is the vocalist. If I recall from an interview, he was from croatia, macedonia, serbia or something like that which explains the cool accent and phrasing, cos his pronunciation is rather left field. Try and imagine this track with a regular afro-american "male house" vocal...totally different tune, totally not as cool!

This again proves that your source sound GOTZ to be the shizz - unique, original, fresh. If they ain't, no amount of processing will help you stand out!

Peace

There's at least 3 productional things that jump out at me right away:

1. Side-chain compression of vocals with the kick

2. Volume automation - swells and lulls in amplitude in addition to the SC thing

3. EQing - taking out the bass and the high, a telephone like quality, albeit not so radical or obvious

BUT, the whole gist of the success of this track is the vocalist. If I recall from an interview, he was from croatia, macedonia, serbia or something like that which explains the cool accent and phrasing, cos his pronunciation is rather left field. Try and imagine this track with a regular afro-american "male house" vocal...totally different tune, totally not as cool!

This again proves that your source sound GOTZ to be the shizz - unique, original, fresh. If they ain't, no amount of processing will help you stand out!

Peace

Thanks so much for your reply Jack,
i really appreciated.

I totally agreed with you about originality in productions and, as you know, Thomas Banglater is a master to find new ways in the whole process of the music creation. Just think how much Daft Punk influenced the electronic scene today.
I wanna be sincere: i'm not a big fan of the "Sound Like" philosophy, but if i listen something interessing i want to understand how they achieve a synth, a structure or, in this case, a vocal processing.
As when u learn how to draw, understanding opens new doors to your own way of expression.

Thanks again for the time spent in your reply.

DC.

P.s. Benjamin Diamond, the singer of that track, is a French singer ! :)

Thanks for clarifying it about the singer! Yeah, daft punk had MASSSIVE influence, just as important as the prodigy in dance music evolution.

Back