Making *good* Psytrance Melodies / Patterns

A

Av

I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips / techniques or knew of any good web resources on getting the most out of your patterns and melodies...

everything i make seems so flat....the idea is there, but it just doesn't *pump*...you know what i mean...

Im currently doing all my work in Buzz tracker, I want to be able to have longer / shorter delays between notes...not just have everything locked to the 4/4 pattern... i think this would give me some variance in rythm and sound.

-Av

PS. 1st post, nice board.

hi .. you have picked a nice software for making psytrance..
buzz is a really good software..
try working with effects also..
in case, you want to know more.. mail me..

Also, you might wanna try Reason as well. It is very good to make this kind of music too, try it.

thanks for your replies...

believe me, as soon as i can get my hands on the full version of reason i will...using this demo is just killing me... :) sitting there, knowing..that in 20 mins these beautifull soundscapes are going to dissapear....

im familiar with many of the programs and have been tracking on and off for a bit now...

my question is more directed at music theory i guess, composition of a good melody, getting those nice intricate patterns and linking melodies together so they flow...

any tips/urls/advice is appreciated

thanks
-Av

Av said:
my question is more directed at music theory i guess, composition of a good melody, getting those nice intricate patterns and linking melodies together so they flow...

ahh that's different.. and it is a good question my friend. I always think DJs and other guys who get into music should go to get music theory training first... I was in a classical music school from the age of 6 (and did 2 years of special kids music classes before that), and there I learnt ranges of notes, what minor and major are, rhythm, etc.. it is hard to improvise and invent those and you can tell when someone did or did not take classes in his life.

I am glad you are asking this question, because it shows that you are realizing this. Most people don't care and are too lazy to go through 2 years of music training at least.

mmhh... Now what should you do? Are you willing to go to two classes per week and learn the notes? It is up to you ;)

I just found this link: http://www.mi.edu I think it is a very cool school in california. But you may find links from there. Good luck!

Also if you have any precise question about music, feel free to post.

one tip maybe: get a keyboard if you dont have one (a cheap controller so you can even control your software synths remotely) and press the notes slowly... listen to them... and press two notes at the same time then.. sometimes it doesnt sound right, sometimes it does... try try try... again and again.. write down the notes that go together for you... Also maybe get a book which lists RANGES of notes (there are several). They are variations of the basic DO RE MI FA SOL LA SI (A B C D E F G I think? I am not american so I know the european way).

talk soon, see you around!

thanks mano, ive realised for a while that if i want to get better i am going to have to learn music theory, it's something i really wish i did when i was younger :(

unfortunately im at uni doing a double degree in Graphic Design / Computer Science, which basically leaves me little time for formal lessons. I am wondering if any of you have taught yourselves music theory from resources on the internet and such?, any recommended online courses?

one more question [sorry, its a little off topic]: I went digging around in the garage for a keyboard (i was sure we had one), i found this dodgy looking Yamaha PSR-6, i checked the back and it only has 2 sockets, one for DC (power) and an Aux Out/Headphone jack....I know its a long shot but is there any way i could connect it upto to my computer using the AUX out?..

thanks again
-Av

Av said:
is there any way i could connect it upto to my computer using the AUX out?..

unfortunately no... Those PSR with the MIDI out thing would have been a correct controller (at least it wouls have worked!) but unfortunately the one you have doesn't seem to have a MIDI OUT.

I saw you've posted a new thread about controllers, I will try to help you. take care man

About online courses, I wouldnt recommend them... Maybe you could try to buy a book+CD (or +cdrom) showing you the basics of the notes, major and minor ranges (very very important). I think there are PLENTY of books. Here is a direct URL:

click here(bookmark it!)

good luck!

hey .. incase, you haven't got any formal training... it isn't that bad.. you could make music by listening by ear.. you put in what you like.. and play around with notes.. a timeconsuming process but is fun too.. and psychedelic music is supposed to be psychedelic, so practice and get enlightened! :D ..

Om Shanti!

Devic, that gives me some hope, and up to now is what i have been doing, and I am progressing and getting better all the time.... I just cant help but feel there is something i am missing :(

But for now thats what ill continue to do :), ill keep playing around on this PSR-6 until i can get a midi controler, just playing the notes on the keyboard like mano suggested is giving me a much better idea of how everything links together, it's alot more free flowing than tediously reprogramming patterns until they sound right :)

Ill keep an eye out for courses around my local area...im on holidays at the moment, so who knows :)

one question, even though you dont recommend the online courses mano, are there any topics you think would be of use to start researching until i get a chance to do a proper course? (things like major / minor, rythm etc?)

cheers guys
-Av

hey .. you got me wrong dude.. do any msucial course avaialable and expand your knowledge .. what i meant, was to try on fiddle with the notes.. try to get a melody out of it.. and if you like it, then use it. as for me, i don't have the time to do these courses, so i actually try to make music by ear.. ie. listening .. i know **** about chords and majors/minors .. yet, i play with notes.. and if i like it, i use it..

you can check out my music at http://www.mp3.com/devic

Av, nice message you got it man, I am glad :) It is a good thing to try first on the PSR6 at least you can hear what the notes are and remember them later. Good stuff.

About the topics to research about online. I think you should go to the link I gave you (to amazon), it is directly a list of books on music theory so you can read a little bit about the subject. Make sure you have alist of chords, with their names, and ranges of notes. These can be easily listed.

I plan in the future to add all this to onlineDJ.com for free. I don't know when but this would be good. Thing is that not everyone is willing to learn music theory. Most peopel say it's bullshit. but it is not.

Anyway, look at these books.

nah Devic, i get you...and i think its great advice :)

I grabbed a couple of your tracks off mp3.com too, nice work, i like them alot... certainly has given me some hope :) do you work predominately in buzz?

now to save for that midi controller :)

Mano, gotta say, great work with this board, ive know a fair few people who would love a space to discuss ideas/ask questions, so im gonna send em right over :)

ciao
-Av

[Edited by Av on 12-27-2000 at 05:59 AM]

Av said:
ive know a fair few people who would love a space to discuss ideas/ask questions, so im gonna send em right over :)

oh yeah :)
plus there is more than the board ;)
take care man

hey .. Av.. thanks for the feedback.. :)
well, i don't use buzz. i use more of Impulse Tracker. yeah, but i did start working with buzz but i found it a bit intimidating. but, ppl say that buzz is best suited for psytrance. but, i am very comfortable with impulse tracker. my next stop would be cubase/logic. i think i will oerlook buzz.
and yeah, do send your friends over... it would be great to discuss music . :D

bom

hey...
can u send me a track that you have made already...
i think i can help you..
u need to get yourself fruity loops though at least the demo so i can send you some small demos..you can open them up and look at them in detail.you can always use what u learn in any program on the piano roll..

for a long time i wondered about the sort of note structure for psy trance leads and couldnt really find anything..
i had figured out how to use synths/automation etc and get decent psy sounds but my leads just didnt speak psy..
i think you are asking the same sort of question...
instead of just using standard 16 th notes as a running lead u want to make more interesting leads that sound like psy? am i right?
anyway let me know..
i have a few more days before work starts so i have a little time to help you...

Last edited:
i'm at the same stage as you mate. i've just bought a book "the dance music manual" by rick snoman, its very good and explains a lot of music theory in there, but directly links it to dance music. it doesn't talk about psy but the theory is relatively the same

Hi, this 10 years too late to give the OP what he actually asked for but for anyone else trying to figure out music theory, look up 'how music works' in you tube. I can't post links, otherwise I would have just done that. This is a really good series for people who don't have much time.

Back