Make a sludgey wobble?

ohmenofficial

Hey guys I haven't necessarily tried doing this yet because I haven't had time but I've been theorizing about how to go about doing it. When I go to a show and hear a song with a fat, sludgey wobble, it just makes me go crazy, don't ask why its just something about the thick sound that I love. I'm not worried about the oscillators as much as I am the filtering. So I use Reason 6 as of now and I'm absolutely obsessed with the filtering in Thor, it's so wonderful and lets me make some of the most wicked sounding reese basses ever but anyway, I was thinking about sending my osc through a low pass with a lot of res, well just enough to make it drippy sounding and then sending it through a bandpass and modulating them both at the same time. I'm probably going to used a square wave or something throaty, I want it to literally sound like a gluttonous monster trying to talk with a mouth full of food if you can imagine that haha. Throw some ideas at me!!!! I want to try them out. Here's the sound that I'm kind of going for, and its the throaty sounding synth, not the one that sounds like a light saber or the really smooth wobble.

Your thinking the right way just keep up the experimentation and resampling is a beast for doing what you want like stretching or pitching the sound with lots of modulations..

thanks amorbis! I think I'm going to stick with just using my synths because resampling in reason is a ***** but I just sent in an idea to propellerhead that might make resampling less of a ***** hopefully they make it haha, i would resample more if it wasn't so damn tedious but im still getting some nasty sounds out of straight up filters and a distortion unit haha

No problem :] ive heard alot about the power of reason but havnt messed with it.. Glad to hear you suggested a good thing for them.. Resampling is fun when you get it down. i like to bounce sounds down from patches i made and make them kontakt instruments then the resampling gets crazy it that instrument

"I'm not worried about the oscillators as much as I am the filtering"
You should worry about both, filters only go so far...
And try messing around with effects and stuff, I can tell you that some effects can really go a long way, and combinations like Filtering->Distortion/Bitcrushing can give you amazing sounds. And dont be afraid to go crazy with it, one specific sound I made that sounded great ended up being run through like 11 effects, you have no obligation to keep a sound "normal" sounding.
And the other guy said something about resampling, which isnt really that big for making the sounds youre looking for, but is still an EXTREMELY powerful musical tool that you should at least mess around with. Resampling and heavy sample editing is the only reason I have Renoise too (I do everything in Ableton, except samplework)

Last edited:
Back