It's not just the percussion and bass that dictates rhythm

H

Hogus

Ok... to some this may seem dead obvious, but I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a really cool bassline going with some funky percussion and then got stumped right there. I end up trying all kinds of stupid sweeps with my high frequency sounds, or over complicate a reaktor engine to such a level that I'm blinded into thinking that what I've got is great.

Until I listen to it a week later.... bassline still cool... percussion still funky.... pads, resonant sweeps, what the hell is going on here? It just sounds like a pre-school mess.

The rhythm/counter rhythm you create at the top end needs to be as good as the phat bass you spent hours on. Even if it's not as easily noticed. Otherwise the whole mix is spoiled.

I agree with that; the bass & the drums are the backbone of every kind of dance music (see my device beneath !!), but just a bass and some drums make in most cases no entire song.
What you build around is as important, 'cause you can easily destroy an $$$-kicking bassline and a groovy percussion session by too fast putting some simple pads/leads on it. :eek:

I couldn't agree more with both your posts...

The place where I go for inspiration in that department would be FUNK!!

Funk is obviously notorious for amazing drum beats, and...well... Funky bass... the ultimate, the heart of what we do...

But, what I find most compelling (especially in James Brown records) are the counter melodies that are carried in the horns and guitar.

Usually there are two guitars... one chunking out a "9" chord (i don't know which type) in a perfect rhythm to complement the bass and drums... and then the other guitar is usually playing an angular riff that acts as counterpoint to the bass...

And I don't think I have to comment on the horns... pure bliss...

so... if you get stuck, pull out some old James Brown, and see what kind of things they are doing (aside from the drums and bass.)

awesome advice with the James Brown! Although it also might help to listen to some of your favorite tracks in whatever genre you're working on. But remember, The Godfather of Funk said it himself: Funk is simply accent on the 1! Go from there!

peace

Frequency adds a vertical dimension to your mixes. On the dance floor it is very important. In House the movement between the kik and the hats is all important. In Drum and Bass it is the movement between big sub bass and high frequency sped up drums.

Creating rythmic movement between these elements will enhance the groove in your tracks.

Space and Silence

I think the Space between the notes is very important, today it's very easy to just overplay everything to death, my music teacher was always telling me "remember kid, Silence is music. ".:D

Re: Space and Silence

MusickMan said:
I think the Space between the notes is very important, today it's very easy to just overplay everything to death, my music teacher was always telling me "remember kid, Silence is music. ".:D

I agree. I believe that working on songs is more than a one-day thing. If all you get is a bass and perc sequence.. Chill sleep on it 'till you get some more ideas:)

I had read somewhere that one can make a tune "funky" by throwing in notes that are much lower than the other notes.

Perhaps someone knowledgeable here could please elaborate...

I've been working on Funky Psytrance while on holiday for the last week or so and found that the way to create funky basslines is by shuffeling the release time on your bass synth. It sorta gives you that twangy stop-start feel, you can also apply the same effect to your lead synth.

I built a synth in Reaktor that sounds a lot like a funked up synthesized guitar using this method.

RobinH is 100% right in saying that frequency adds a vertical element, I had the most amazing experience at a party two weekends ago where I could feel the sounds pushing and pulling at certain heights of the frequency spectrum.

I also find that if I get stuck on what to do next on a track now I have a look at where the gaps are in my track graphically and think about what kind of sound will fill the gaps in the spectrum.

???

"Frequency adds a vertical dimension to your mixes. On the dance floor it is very important. In House the movement between the kik and the hats is all important"

:confused:

Robin H, could you please give me more information about what you wrote ?
:)

Back