Indian or Arabian Chord Progressions

S

skeez

Do any of you know the basic chord progression for an Indian or Arabian melody? I did do a search before posting the question. If you could help it would be apreciated.

Typically, Middle Eastern music doesn't have a "chord progression". The main focus is on the melody which is why you mostly hear "drones" throughout middle eastern music.....of course I am talking about traditional/authentic music, not the pop kind.

What you want to learn about is the scales (there are over a hundred of them) If you know anything about modes, the closest mode would by Phrygian.

But if you are interested in learning more about their scales, check out

http://www.maqamworld.com/

yeah indian music (i can only speak as an amateur fan of north indian classical) never changes keys for an entire piece, only using one set of notes. The melodies you form from this set are governed by very specific rules for each piece, for instance every time you go between Eb and F, you have to play a certain "lick." there is no short cut to learning this music... you have to do years of study to even be competent. Worth listening to and even "trying to" transcribe some performances. My favorites in the form are Ali Akbar Khan, Hariprasad Chaurasia (sic?), and Zakkir Hussain. Ali Akbar plays a sort of guitar called the sarod, Hariprasad plays a flute called a bansuri, and zakkir plays those crazy drum called tabla drums.

It's one of the oldest continuous classical traditions on earth, with over a thousand years of theory behind it.

astroid powerup said:
yeah indian music (i can only speak as an amateur fan of north indian classical) never changes keys for an entire piece, only using one set of notes. The melodies you form from this set are governed by very specific rules for each piece, for instance every time you go between Eb and F, you have to play a certain "lick." there is no short cut to learning this music... you have to do years of study to even be competent. Worth listening to and even "trying to" transcribe some performances. My favorites in the form are Ali Akbar Khan, Hariprasad Chaurasia (sic?), and Zakkir Hussain. Ali Akbar plays a sort of guitar called the sarod, Hariprasad plays a flute called a bansuri, and zakkir plays those crazy drum called tabla drums.

It's one of the oldest continuous classical traditions on earth, with over a thousand years of theory behind it.
I beleive you are mistaken
The Sorud (or Gheychak) also used in Baluchistan region, is more like a fiddle or violin, similar to the Kamancheh.

nah he's right. a sarod is a 4-string plucked lute in india.

its mainly about the lyrics, they tend to break from the main beat a lot and bring in something contrasting and then go back...the beat changes quite often but the lyrics keep they rhythm

Back