How do you synthesize a kick and snare drum?

wowfilter

Tutorials or articles will do fine or just an explanation. With kicks I think I've got the low end down , because usually all kicks I see in an eq pitch down at the beginning but the click sound I cannot get very well. I tried a kick with an fm synth a couple days ago. The low end was ok but the click sounding like I was just mouse clicking every time the kick was played XD. I tried making the modulators decay a bit longer but then it just turns bad. Snare's I can't even imagine how to make. I'm guessing it might be creating with a bit of white noise.

I should mention as well (you probably could tell) I'm trying to make drums used for electronic music. House/electro and glitch hop kicks/snares were what I was trying to make.

google synth secrets all parts.

But please just find some good drum samples. You can make some simple electro drums with your VST subtractive synth. If you want more... Unless you have a robust synth with modulating options, time and patience it's not worth it. Do you want to make beats or design drum sounds? It is good to know how but focus on making music.

Learning to make drums is worthwhile, but it is also hard and I haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

Extending the decay is along the right lines, the sweet spot is quite small and you also need to adjust the modulation amount (how high the pitch evelope goes)

This is really helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9G8C6xUMLA

The biggest technical issue is that for a proper transient, you need the wave to go from 0 to max volume in 1 sample, which is way way too short an attack time for most synths. This guy found something in massive as a workaround, I just like to make the drum as best as I can in the synth then render out and chop it so it starts in the middle of a peak.

Snares are basically pitched up kicks, layered with white noise, but they also need some short reverbs to really start sounding snare-like.

Back