How do you make a sample last forever

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
Hello everyone,
i want to apologize from the get go i hope i can word this so you can understand what i want to know. first off i'm wondering how long samples are made so that when you hit a key it holds forever like in a Soundfont or kontakt library, i know with synthesis you can do that with the ADSR but with samples its different do they really hold the sample down for a really long time or is it done with a special program i use logic pro 9 and i'm really interested in making my own brass and string library any insight is welcome thank you for your time:bigeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to sustain a sample you set the portion of the sample you want to sustain as a loop so that it will cycle for as long as the note is held.

Just as with cutting a proper drum loop to the correct length according to BPM the trick with shorter material is to cut lengths according to frequencies.

Thank you for such a quick reply hollandturbine, is there any dedecated software to do such a thing or do you just need a sample editor and alot of patience?

This technique was heavily used back in the Fasttracker era.
You should try using sampler plugin and set appropriate loop markers.

Thank you for such a quick reply hollandturbine, is there any dedecated software to do such a thing or do you just need a sample editor and alot of patience?

While you can use an audio editor such as WaveLab etc, I prefer to do everything in the sampler itself, some have waveform editors and some don't, the reason I set things up in the sampler is because there are a lot of different things you can do, such as specify the amount of times you want a portion of the sample to loop before playback continues for example.

Hmm thats very interesting I dont know if you guys mess with logics exs24 but there is a loop function inside of it I manly used for hihats, I remember there being a box to the left of the checkbox that has parameters for the length of the loop ill mess with it when I get home one more question does anybody know of a company that will set up a kontakt shell for me I pick the samples and the over all design they just do the coding or whatever needs done like knobs for the cutoff the ADSR LFOs that kinda thing or know of any good articles I googled it but nothing really came up thanks so much for your guys answers it means alot to me.

NN-XT in Reason provides the option of loading up sample, assigning it to a key and even looping it. Very powerful tool.

...pretty much like every other sampler out there, in other words. NN-XT isn't at all bad, it's just very bog-standard as far as samplers go.

Hmm thats very interesting I dont know if you guys mess with logics exs24 but there is a loop function inside of it I manly used for hihats, I remember there being a box to the left of the checkbox that has parameters for the length of the loop ill mess with it when I get home one more question does anybody know of a company that will set up a kontakt shell for me I pick the samples and the over all design they just do the coding or whatever needs done like knobs for the cutoff the ADSR LFOs that kinda thing or know of any good articles I googled it but nothing really came up thanks so much for your guys answers it means alot to me.

If you type "Kontakt script editor" into Google you should be able to find both an editor and some tutorials, but if you have never done any kind of programing before I would recommend that you read a beginners book on programing, you should be able to find something at your local library. The aim of most programing tutorials is to walk you through a language etc rather than explain concepts that are universally understood in programing, like what a variable does etc, so this is why you want to start with a beginners book.

Alright well ive been messing aboit in the exs24 I put a sampled brass sound about 5 sec long I set the loop so it loops good now the problem comes when the sample comes back around the attack is noticable any ideas on how to fix that or just get it to loop in the middle after the first attack I also tried cutting the sample down but I get alot of pops and clicks I didnt do a fast job on it either even tried putting the waves pops n clicks plug on helped alittle ut still no dice.

Yes, loop the middle.

The first thing I recommend you do is learn your keyboard shortcuts for zoom in and zoom out, then when you are editing your loop points next time zoom in and cut at the zero crossing (where the wave crosses the horizontal line) as this will eliminate the click, when a sound is modulated cut the length to a multiple of the modulation rate, and don't be afraid to use a compressor/limiter to keep the levels of your loop consistent.

Back