How do I make my hi-hat sound like this?

Dariel!

9th Wonder - Hi Dazzle (Instrumental) - YouTube

How the hell does 9th do it. Is it a more natural/real sounding hi-hat or is it layered with a shaker and eq'd?

Some one point in me in the right direction.

I mean does he swing them or does he add some sort of attack or release?

Does he place the on two quarters of a beat? So that way if he places a hi-hat on lets say beat one bar one of a song he place another one right behind it on beat 1.2.

try to put some swing on your Hi-Hats, most DAW´s have this funtion , or maybe just move them in 1/64 steps until you have that laidback feeling.

you could also layer a shaker or something on some of the Hi-Hats to set accents.

i hope this will bring you forward

are you referring to the actual synthesis of this hi hat sound? because if you are there are many ways in which how a hi hat behaves over time can be changed...all by using modulation...

try to put some swing on your Hi-Hats, most DAW´s have this funtion , or maybe just move them in 1/64 steps until you have that laidback feeling.

you could also layer a shaker or something on some of the Hi-Hats to set accents.

i hope this will bring you forward

Alright I will try this.

are you referring to the actual synthesis of this hi hat sound? because if you are there are many ways in which how a hi hat behaves over time can be changed...all by using modulation...

I actyally mean more of the groove, because I think I have a few hi-hat's that have the sort of synthesis you talk about. But if I was to create this kind myself what would I need to use? Would I bitcrush a little and eq or what?

Last edited:
Alright I will try this.

I actyally mean more of the groove, because I think I have a few hi-hat's that have the sort of synthesis you talk about. But if I was to create this kind myself what would I need to use? Would I bitcrush a little and eq or what?

oh i see...as for groove, you can change velocities and timing of notes to add to the groove...also if you have hi hats sitting where a kick is sitting, you can very slightly move the hi hat ahead out of time with the kick to give the feeling that the hi hat wants to hit before the kick...does that make sense? if not let me know and i'll try to do a better job of explaining it...there is also something called ambiguous displacement and metrical dissonance that might help with your groove...unfortunately, i do not know enough about these topics to give you advice...but once i watch my tutorial again i'll be able to give you better advice on these latter topics...

if you were to create these sounds, you would need a drum machine like the waldorf attack or ultrabeat if you have logic as your DAW...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.

I wil try this too. I have drum pads on my mpk mini, is that sufficient enough? I also am going to start using logic, but for now am using beatmaker 2 on my ipad.

theres definitely at least 40% swing on this percussion, and yeah its all about layering your hats, just pick like 4 and layer them so they hit at the same time.
hes probs just got a lush hats combo going. :)
just have a shop around on ebay for drum packs.

Thanks for your recommendation as well skerrick. But im not buying drums from ebay lmao. I have a goldminds worth of drums that are all free.
But I will try that too when I get the chance tomorrow.

Thanks for your recommendation as well skerrick. But im not buying drums from ebay lmao. I have a goldminds worth of drums that are all free.
But I will try that too when I get the chance tomorrow.

WELL - i bought a 'set' of drums, that had 2200 different percussion hits in it (400 kicks, 600 snares, 400 hats etc) - all dubstep/drum & bass kinda stuff, big sounds.
but yeah that guy had pulled all the drums from maschine, ableton, reason, FL, logic and such and i BOUGHT them off him for like $2.95 for the whole set as advertised.
which imho is worth it, especially for the quality of the samples. free samples may be great, but tbh they arent all lossless audio and such and you can often find them clipping and distorting in some cases.. id rather pay for the audio quality. and its SUCH a small fee. totally worth it.

[just in case you werent aware, i wasnt talking about buying an ACTUAL set of drums... ;) ]

Last edited:
WELL - i bought a 'set' of drums, that had 2200 different percussion hits in it (400 kicks, 600 snares, 400 hats etc) - all dubstep/drum & bass kinda stuff, big sounds.
but yeah that guy had pulled all the drums from maschine, ableton, reason, FL, logic and such and i BOUGHT them off him for like $2.95 for the whole set as advertised.
which imho is worth it, especially for the quality of the samples. free samples may be great, but tbh they arent all lossless audio and such and you can often find them clipping and distorting in some cases.. id rather pay for the audio quality. and its SUCH a small fee. totally worth it.

[just in case you werent aware, i wasnt talking about buying an ACTUAL set of drums... ;) ]

Sounds great but I make more hip hop/rnb oriented stufff.

Although DnB/dubstep stuff could come in handy in any kind of production and taken from all those programs too sounds very good.

But I have so many dope free stuff that im good, trust me. Thanks for informing me about what you found, but even when it comes to quality im covered because a buddy of mine hooked me up with some goldbaby drums he purchased.

I have drums that sounds like real drum samples too from an actual drum set as well as drums that are drum machine sounding such as the Goldbaby 808 kit.

Last edited:
Sounds great but I make more hip hop/rnb oriented stufff.

Although DnB/dubstep stuff could come in handy in any kind of production and taken from all those programs too sounds very good.

But I have so many dope free stuff that im good, trust me. Thanks for informing me about what you found, but even when it comes to quality im covered because a buddy of mine hooked me up with some goldbaby drums he purchased.

I have drums that sounds like real drum samples too from an actual drum set as well as drums that are drum machine sounding such as the Goldbaby 808 kit.

lol man obv they dont have to be used exclusively for just dubstep or dnb, that was just the name of the pack.
i made this with the same drum pack and its hip hop: Moonwalk by SKERRICK on SoundCloud - Hear the world
yeah man i have some real drum kits too, i just prefer synthy drum packs cos they fit the electronic genre a bit better imho, but than again, depends entirely on the kit youre using.

lol man obv they dont have to be used exclusively for just dubstep or dnb, that was just the name of the pack.
i made this with the same drum pack and its hip hop: Moonwalk by SKERRICK on SoundCloud - Hear the world
yeah man i have some real drum kits too, i just prefer synthy drum packs cos they fit the electronic genre a bit better imho, but than again, depends entirely on the kit youre using.
Good point. But I think I have what I need. Thanks a lot though.

Back