Hip Hop and Chords

I didn't wanna create a separate topic about this.

So, does anyone know where to find Hiphop/RnB guitar tabs? I realize i could just be searching for random song names on tab sites, but with hiphop it's not so simple. Perhaps there are people out there who already found some good songs.

Man... I've read all 5 pages... and some you cats need to let go of the nonsense. CHORDS?! What's next... some 1st term music theory lesson?
I'll give you my opinion... some of you are trying to gain acceptance in hiphop, because you lack in genres that require you to have to apply CHORDS in your work.
You ever wonder why there's so many cats with keyboards(nowdays) trying to get their feet wet in hiphop? Most of these cats never even bothered to become an element in hiphop or have even owned a drum machine... but, want to parade around trying to justify their purpose. Most of these cats that you deemed as top of the line producers, such as DR.DRE, took the time to become elements of hiphop... DJ/RAPPER/PRODUCER. That was his development to what he is today... and he'll tell you that, but you cats love to skim past what it took to grow the man... and jump to the end result. "DRE DOES THIS...", "MANNY FRESH DOES THIS...", yeah... but, how many of you are going to take their approach... their real approach? Very few of you. That's why there's a divide in hiphop... those that are out for the quick solution vs. those that look for the longhaul.

You cats that want throw this BULL around thinking that you're showing intellect... are just looking for acceptance. A few advancements in technology have a lot of you talking some real unstable crap. Why would a successful pianist be trying to get into hiphop? Either a calabo($$$$$) or this (so-called)musician can't make the cut with "real" musicians.

Who in their right mind is going to be concerned about CHORDS IN HIPHOP?! Just another cheesy attempt to discredit the efforts of others for self gain... typical.(some of these dudes are piggybacking statements and claims from other boards too)

This is why I don't engage in Sample vs. Played debates... after awhile it's hard to distinguish the fool.

MADMIXA the DJ said:
Man... I've read all 5 pages... and some you cats need to let go of the nonsense. CHORDS?! What's next... some 1st term music theory lesson?
I'll give you my opinion... some of you are trying to gain acceptance in hiphop, because you lack in genres that require you to have to apply CHORDS in your work.
You ever wonder why there's so many cats with keyboards(nowdays) trying to get their feet wet in hiphop? Most of these cats never even bothered to become an element in hiphop or have even owned a drum machine... but, want to parade around trying to justify their purpose. Most of these cats that you deemed as top of the line producers, such as DR.DRE, took the time to become elements of hiphop... DJ/RAPPER/PRODUCER. That was his development to what he is today... and he'll tell you that, but you cats love to skim past what it took to grow the man... and jump to the end result. "DRE DOES THIS...", "MANNY FRESH DOES THIS...", yeah... but, how many of you are going to take their approach... their real approach? Very few of you. That's why there's a divide in hiphop... those that are out for the quick solution vs. those that look for the longhaul.

You cats that want throw this BULL around thinking that you're showing intellect... are just looking for acceptance. A few advancements in technology have a lot of you talking some real unstable crap. Why would a successful pianist be trying to get into hiphop? Either a calabo($$$$$) or this (so-called)musician can't make the cut with "real" musicians.

Who in their right mind is going to be concerned about CHORDS IN HIPHOP?! Just another cheesy attempt to discredit the efforts of others for self gain... typical.(some of these dudes are piggybacking statements and claims from other boards too)

This is why I don't engage in Sample vs. Played debates... after awhile it's hard to distinguish the fool.

lol yo wat u got against composing? the first hip hop song rappers delight was done with live instruments. I just asked a question wanted 2 no if something was musically incorrect if didnt have chords because im taking music theory and chords seem important in it and every1s blowing it outta proportion. im not trynna start a sampling vs. composing war.

A successful pianist would be trying to get into hip hop because he loves it. A successful pianist could also be a hip hop session musician. :)

bkd3vil said:
I figured as much but Dre has a PHD in music theory and is now working with orchestras.
What BS. You don't think Dre has arrangers? It doesn't take a PhD to write out instrumental parts. On the other hand, you can't just say to an orchestra, "play it kind of like this..."

Dre might not have a PhD. Snoop Dogg however...
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~hsp/05_Snoop.shtml

music madmixa its about music. theory on chords has to do with music. dre could have started out playing a harmonica and still be the shyit today. why? not cause of hiphop. its music. a pianist working on hiphop just for money or not being able to hang with other live musitions? you figured it out.....glad your here to tell it like it is. thats one problem with hiphop, nobody likes change or to evolve. no cant do that, it has to be about the roots of hiphop. neaver about music. and phuck what everyone on fp thinks of me, i hope everyone else feels the same(not for my sake). if hiphop phucked off and died today i wouldnt care cause the "musition in me" loves music. not somethin that was cool to do in 95. lets face it everyone, live music is the best thing to listen to, with hiphop or not.

bkd3vil said:
lol yo wat u got against composing? the first hip hop song rappers delight was done with live instruments. I just asked a question wanted 2 no if something was musically incorrect if didnt have chords because im taking music theory and chords seem important in it and every1s blowing it outta proportion. im not trynna start a sampling vs. composing war.
1) I have nothing against composing... I have a problem with non hiphop(minded) or entities trying seek justification within this genre. 2) just to add to what I said in the 1st statement... the 1st hiphop song wasn't Rappers Delight(ask Grandmaster Caz about the "1st ghostwritten song" in hiphop) and how can you even use THAT SONG AS AN EXAMPLE ANYWAY... IT WASN'T EVEN AN ORIGINAL SONG... you can ask Nile Rogers of CHIC regarding that(a recreation of 'goodtimes'). See what I mean? In a circle of ignorance... you might look like the messiah.

I see there's a dude talking about "a hiphop session musician"(who? The Roots). Man... you cats are grasping at straws.
Please don't start bogus threads like these... the true intent is transparent and pointless.

sellinbeats said:
music madmixa its about music. theory on chords has to do with music. dre could have started out playing a harmonica and still be the shyit today. why? not cause of hiphop. its music. a pianist working on hiphop just for money or not being able to hang with other live musitions? you figured it out.....glad your here to tell it like it is. thats one problem with hiphop, nobody likes change or to evolve. no cant do that, it has to be about the roots of hiphop. neaver about music. and phuck what everyone on fp thinks of me, i hope everyone else feels the same(not for my sake). if hiphop phucked off and died today i wouldnt care cause the "musition in me" loves music. not somethin that was cool to do in 95. lets face it everyone, live music is the best thing to listen to, with hiphop or not.
Name me a successful harmonica player on that level of achievement. I name you at least 20 hiphop DJ's, at least 20 emcees, etc... that are really are!
You call it change or evolution... OK, I just bought a Triton... I am now a pianist... rrriiiiGgggght. I say what I say because I've seen the impact that "this change and evolution" has brought... musicians without a home. I remember when musicians denounced hiphop, said it wouldn't last, sued for usage,etc.., now... that it makes money, now... that the same hiphop tools are mainly what you hear in the mainstream... now 'we' hear the "IT'S ALL MUSIC" speeches. The real fact is that these cornball discusions didn't pop up when electronic hiphop was kicking off in the 80's or when Live bands were incorporated into the scheme of things... YOU CATS DIDN'T START TALKING CRAZY UNTIL THE NEED FOR LIVE MUSICIANS WAS REPLACED WITH TECHNOLOGY(THUS YOUR "ADVANCEMENTS & EVOLUTION"). Now, if you really want re-establish the way of the musician... reclaim your throne in the R&B genre. Re-establish yourself in a genre that WAS DEFINED BY MUSICIANS AND ARTISTS.
Straight up, musicians and real singers were RAN out of that genre(you now find them in NEO SOUL, played on sunday in 1 hour time slot)... and you expect hiphop to accept anything that washes up on the beach?! Naw, that's how music get watered down and devalued...
you don't hear of this "technology and evolution" crap in COUNTRY MUSIC(the leading seller worldwide).
Until you realize what was done and realize how it was done... you're only bringing over damaged goods to a new location.

I really do hope you understand what I saying.

And don't even get me start with distribution.

For the record, I'm not denouncing musicians... I want to motivate them to be united and regain their essence and "soul"... particularly in the R&B and Soul genres. I want to hear their work in the mainstream. I want to be able to buy and present their works to the masses, but for that to happen... these musicians have to regain their heritage.

There was a reason why joints like 'More Bounce to the Ounce' or countless others didn't need to gain a hiphop crowd to be successful.
Something, outside of the family, determined what 'we' should be exposed to... musicians can reclaim their status if they build... together. Most hiphop producers don't claim to be musicians.

Last edited:
well i dont disagree with yah. tho you did go too deep. i really dont know what ur beef is now but fhuck it. to buy a triton and say i am a pianist is dumb if im not. i get that. oh is it cause he was asking about chords in hiphop and you see that as amature and non hiphop of him? im use to worthless questions on here so i didnt take it that sereously. but like i siaid i dont disagree. btw. the harmonica thing wasnt literal, i was hopein you got that. also i havent heard the "music speach" before but when discussing music theory in this thread, i wouldnt be surprised to see it.

To me chords are the hardest part to master when it comes composing. Because chords have a certain relationship with other chords. And if you don't play the chords properly then it won't sound right. Chords bring a certain melody to the table. True hip hop isn't supposed to be too melodic either. Remember that hip hop doesn't use alot of chords to begin with. And that timing and space play a key role in a nice hip hop track. It's all in drums to begin with anyway.

"And its not just the stars, planets, and galaxies that tickle the izzo nizzo bizzo dizzo"

LMFAO...

MastaMnd said:
To me chords are the hardest part to master when it comes composing. Because chords have a certain relationship with other chords. And if you don't play the chords properly then it won't sound right. Chords bring a certain melody to the table. True hip hop isn't supposed to be too melodic either. Remember that hip hop doesn't use alot of chords to begin with. And that timing and space play a key role in a nice hip hop track. It's all in drums to begin with anyway.

I'd have to disagree with you. Hip hop is changing and there are plenty of songs out there with numerous chord changes. Ex. Heard em say, gold digger (even if its sampled, those are all chord changes!), um all the N.E.R.D **** are based on chord changes, dre's lost ones, the song "Stronger" has chord changes in each and every sample.. the list goes on. The BEST MUSIC and I capitalize that has CHORD CHANGES. Changing keys makes the song less repetetive. Sometimes you won't even know that the chord changed in single melody songs. Don't ever limit yourself. It's NOT all drums because those are the songs that are usually crap! Even back in the day chord changes were used frequently, prime example A tribe called quest.

My thoughts on the discussion...

I think what separates a good producer from a great one is one who knows how to play chords and uses them to his advantage. In my opinion beats with chords sound a lot better than one melody lines. Even southern hip hop has chord changes. TI's what you know about that has many chord changes. (if you don't believe me, get the music sheet for it). The best songs are the ones with chord changes, its all a matter of how you use them. A word of advice to people starting using chords, don't play them by the book, learn how to voice and create melody lines with it! Also, just because a beat has a single melody it doesn't mean that he still isn't using key signatures. In a sense, he still is using a chord, not just played together.

This has to be one of the worst threads ever. Some of you post like you've actually never listened to music, like you've just been reading about online.

just my opinion

bkd3vil said:
Dre has a PHD in music theory

I had nooooooo Idea Dr. Dre actually studied music, in a college... wow...

But, They're are chords in a lot of rap/hip hop music...
In a way the topic started is right though.

I use chords in my beats.. plus the stuff that Cool and Dre, and the Runners do is alll chords..

Beatmaker/Producer, whatever you want to call yourself...
You all know that a 3key producer is nooo match for a dude thats nice on the keys.
.... In any event, Whats hot is hot.. if it's little noises and 3 key melodies... or if it's someone "freakin" 5 chords.

madmixa... while i agree with some of your points, you can't say "real musicians" should stick to R&B and neo-soul. yes, some musicians have undoubtedly tried to exploit hip hop, but others genuinely love the genre and want to make music that captures the essence of hip hop in a new way.

to say that straight up composition cant be used in hip hop because of history is closed minded and leaves no room for innovation. innovation, on both a musical and societal level is the primary force that drives competition. if no one innovated, how would artists compete for ears? they would all sound the same. if you personally dont value composed hip hop, that is completely acceptable and it is your right to make that decision. this also means that others are entitled to their own preferences and tastes as well.

the dislike should be directed towards those (artists or listeners) who dont respect the roots of hip hop, not to a composer who wants to innovate. although there is a fine line between exploitation and innovation.

win over the listeners ears through the music. it should be the battleground to settle this dispute.

You misunderstood what I wrote... read it again.
For the record when you try to use or define hiphop... using "traditional" theory or applications... you really don't understand it's creation.
It is opposite of what is traditional... in every step of the way. 99.9% of hiphop production... is by using tools and techniques... that's not it's original intended use or nor the usage of common techniques or theories... and some people just don't want to accept that.

my bad... i see what you are sayin' now and agree. seems we were both in fact arguing for innovation

Back