Going from basic Major/Minor Scales, and trying more "exotic" scales

Han$

whats good FP

i have two questions to ask you theory gurus about scales

1- I know there are other scales like lydian, dorian, and locrian, how do these relate to minor and major scales? and what key im playing in?

2- How do i apply the rules of theory ive learnt about major/minor scales, to these new scales?

thanks for reading

Once you know the Major Scale you can build all these modes from that..

For example lets take the Key of C

C Major scale( Ionian Mode) = C D E F G A B C

Dorian mode is build on the second note of a Major Scale

So Start from D and play until you reach the next D (octave higher)

So "D" Dorian = D E F G A B C D

Phrygian Mode starts from the 3rd note of the Major scale

So "E" Phrygian = E F G A B C D E

Lydian Mode begins from the 4th note of the Major scale

Mixolydian begins from the 5th note

Aeolian (Natural Minor) begins from the 6th note

Locrian
begins from the 7th note.

This apply to every Major scale so you can build any Mode if you know your Major Scales.

Ok now lets say you want to Find out the Eb Lydian?

You can always go to Looknohands.com :rolleyes:

OR

figure it out your self.. Lydian begins on the 4th note of the Major scale right..So in which major scale does the "E" note becomes the 4th note?

Thats when your major scale knowledge comes in handy.. (go bak 5 semitones from eb)

It's Bb

Bb major scale : Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

So to play the Eb Lydian, start from the 4th note of the Bb scale (which is Eb) and play till you reach the next "Eb" (octave higher)

Eb Lydian = Eb F G A Bb C D Eb

Hope that was clear enough

Last edited:
I was just about to post a new thread with a ? about modes, but i guess ill just post it here.

I understand how to find th diff modes as described above...but what is the difference between lets say d dorian and c major other than that it begins on the 2 degree...Are there different chords,is that the main separation point? If so, how do know which degrees hold what chords?

AxXe

I was just about to post a new thread with a ? about modes, but i guess ill just post it here.

I understand how to find th diff modes as described above...but what is the difference between lets say d dorian and c major other than that it begins on the 2 degree...Are there different chords,is that the main separation point? If so, how do know which degrees hold what chords?

AxXe

The main chords of D dorian music are the chords of C major that have D as the root note, like Dm, Dm7, Dm9. These chords are built from the dorian formula: 1, b3, 5, b7, 9, 11, 13, which came from the ionian formula: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, when degrees are reassigned up a step(D as the tonic instead of C). Fortunately, for some like me (edit)
icon7.gif
, there are resources that will calculate chords from scale degrees.

Last edited:
Kapow!

Wow, zntap did a great job there, but if you want some further understanding of how each mode sounds, there's another way to arrange them. Theory wise, it's probably best to memorise both methods.. but this one is rather handy too..

If we arrange the modes from major-est to minor-est, they appear
like this, with 1 representing the root of the scale, 4 the fourth degree etc.

Lydian: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Mixolydian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

With Ionian being the natural Major, and Aeolian being the Natural Minor (6th degree of the scale as you saw above)

So for example to change a Major tune to minor, (aeolian) you would simply flatten the 3rd 6th and 7th degrees, and you're set..
Of course, if you could also relocate the same notes within the scale up 9 semitones (or indeed down 3 semitones) for the same result.

It's nice and easy to learn and you can see from the pattern, that
each mode is produced by altering just one degree from the
previous - the beauty of this being, if you're playing on an instrument,
then when you reach the locrian raise the 1st degree, so you have:
b1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 - i.e. - 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7 in the next key!

There are also tons of alterations you can make to the scales....i.e.

Taking a minor ( 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 ) and raising the 7th degree
so you have 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7 , will give you the Harmonic Minor
scale... I.e. Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor.. (you'll know it when you hear it.. think dracula)

And likewise, the harmonic minor has its own modes to an extent..
For example, the same scale, in its phrygian form (which now has a raised 3rd instead of 7th) will sound very spanish..

Oh, and always rememeber the order

In Ionian
Dr Dorian
Peppers Phrygian
Lab Lydian
Many Mixolydian
Are Aeolian
Lost Locrian

Just as a Major scale goes
Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Diminished , Major
so too are the modes for each degree..

Hope it's not information overload... but when you learn how each mode relates to eachother, and the development of scales, it's a ****load easier to keep it in your head.

Back