Electronic/techno effects that create suspense before beat drop

K

Khan88

I jumped into electronic (techno, etc-example: Avicii) music and am trying to learn as much as possible (kaizen) and was wondering, what creates the suspense before a beat drop?
I notice in a lot of songs it is almost like a suction noise, sounding like a spaceship about to take off.
For example, type "Level Two" to youtube and click the first Avicii song (can't post links yet). At 25 seconds, the noise I am speaking of begins. I feel like that is what is creating the "suspense" to build up to the beat drop.

What effects/noises, etc creates the buildup in this type of music?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's so many different techniques, it depends what you're going for.

A lot of people use white noise with some resonance and automate the cutoff filter to get that swoosh buildup sound. Then you can add reverb and other FX on top of that.

With the above technique, you can also do sidechain compression to a kick to get a pumping noise buildup.

Another technique is sending certain instruments (or sending everything) to a reverb and increase the wetness as it comes up to the drop.

Oh - and there's this one. You can automate a highpass filter to remove the lows while coming up to the drop, that sounds pretty dope too.

You can even use a combination of all these techniques.

Or just play around with some cool sounds or samples and use automation or some effect. I used some sample that was like a ufo wobble sound and used automation and it made for a pretty dope effect.

A lot of people use white noise with some resonance and automate the cutoff filter to get that swoosh buildup sound. Then you can add reverb and other FX on top of that.

This is the basic noise swoosh - although it's rather white noise through a resonant filter & gradual adjustment of the filter cutoff; "white noise with some resonance" and "cutoff filter" is just slightly...wrong.

Also, is stuff like Avicii considered "techno" these days? F*ck me, I'm getting old.

Good stuff Good stuff. Been using these techniques on a new track.

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Basically, just listening to awesome songs and realizing what they do and doing the same. EX) gradual volume/room increase until transition noise then beat drop, etc

Back