Determining BPM

DC.52

Idk if im overthinking the process, but for example, This Song, << Link .

just something i through together, its one pattern after a quick intro.

but

I only been doing this for about 3 months or so n i have no ****in idea for layering a sample over a pattern, like how to keep a good beat and tempo and pitch of the sample and have it mix and sound organic with the pattern...

idk if its a BPM thing or something im doing wrong with samples...

on that soundcloud anything beat 9-13 is a reference of what im doing.. they all basically have a small intro nothing to crazy but if anyone has some advice thatd be awesome..

Unless you know the BPM of the things you are combining, BPM is irrelevant. Whats relevant is whether things are in sync.

For example, say I want to use a loop and my project is 120 BPM, I don't listen to a bunch of loops and think "oh thats not 120 I wont use it". For a start I don't think any human alive can do that from ear, secondly it would eliminate most of the loops as they could be at any BPM. What I would do is put the loop in my track, sync it up (using whatever process the DAW allows) and see if it sounds good.

You options for syncing a sample to a project depend on your DAW. I use Live, it takes seconds. FL.. don't know.

BPM is determined by timing a certain duration of music, like if you had a stopwatch and you timed a bar of music and the result was 2 seconds then the tempo is 120 BPM, if the result was 1.983 seconds the tempo would be 121 BPM, this is because BPM and loop length go hand in hand, like you can't alter one without altering the other (this is what time stretching does) and while you can use shit like tap tempo it's most effective when you tap from bar to bar rather than from beat to beat.

Back