Dead Prez-Hip Hop BassLine

if ur using fruity, theres a ts404 preset that can do it, its called subwoofer, add a lil distortion to and maybe a lil verb, and you will have to use slides in ur step editor as welll, hope that helped

Gutty502 said:
if ur using fruity, theres a ts404 preset that can do it, its called subwoofer, add a lil distortion to and maybe a lil verb, and you will have to use slides in ur step editor as welll, hope that helped
Thanks for the quick answer i'll try it

I created a similar bass sound in one of my tracks.

It involved the layering of 2 or more sounds.

1 - Saw wave with the filter tweaked to take out some of the harshness.

2 - Another saw wave layered with the first to give it some thickness. I tweaked this one in a different way to the first.

3 - A sine bassline that had some distortion and very slight reverb on it.

kang said:
I created a similar bass sound in one of my tracks.

It involved the layering of 2 or more sounds.

1 - Saw wave with the filter tweaked to take out some of the harshness.

2 - Another saw wave layered with the first to give it some thickness. I tweaked this one in a different way to the first.

3 - A sine bassline that had some distortion and very slight reverb on it.
i'm gonna try that thanks a lot:)

theres a video of ski beatz on youtube where he explains it.... he just uses a lo pass filter on the sample.....

welchy3 said:
theres a video of ski beatz on youtube where he explains it.... he just uses a lo pass filter on the sample.....
I'm not talking about Jay z's Dead Presidents I'm Talking about Dead Prez-Hip Hop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jNyr6BJZuI

Kang I tryed what you sayed it worked but i got to find the rigt bass sound to use and to tweak the filter.Thanks

Last edited:
Lovely jubbly mate. Glad to hear it's going well! Post up the finished beat/track once you're done.

Kang.

I'll try this shyt out,
that bassline is murderous

i already got melodies in my head lol!

After thinking about this song, I had to go listen to it again. To get those little warbles when they change notes, you may need to use a pitch wheel (set with a smallish range) That or program it in MIDI with sped up tempo to get those little fluctuations that are so critical to the overall sound of the bassline.

Iansanity Recordings said:
After thinking about this song, I had to go listen to it again. To get those little warbles when they change notes, you may need to use a pitch wheel (set with a smallish range) That or program it in MIDI with sped up tempo to get those little fluctuations that are so critical to the overall sound of the bassline.
Yeah you're right there is some pitch in tehere.

I don't think it's the pitch wheel. I think it's the polyphony setting that's used so that the bass warbles slightly when switching notes.

When i made a similar bassline i got a fairly similar feel to the Dead Prez version by just tweaking the polyphony.

kang said:
I don't think it's the pitch wheel. I think it's the polyphony setting that's used so that the bass warbles slightly when switching notes.

When i made a similar bassline i got a fairly similar feel to the Dead Prez version by just tweaking the polyphony.
Ok this is how i got it:i used the plugin Hypersonic 2 and loaded a patch called sub bass i applyed a filter tweaked it a bit and then a parametric eq and then I boosted up some freqwences(i think it was about 744hz or something like that).
Kang theres no pitch in there it's polyphony your right again,the patch I used already had it set up.I'll make a track with a similar bass and post it. Thanks again see ya!
ps:I forgot to mention that I lowerd the volume of the filter effect.

Last edited:
Back