D&B adjusting-Plaese Help

Thelonius Funk

Hey guys....now I usually produce break beats and remix Hip Hop with electronic sounds. BUT....I love the way D and B beats thump inside otherwise non D and B songs. Adds a great energy when you introduce them into a breakdown. Heres the question....if I have a Hip Hop song and its chugging along at say 80 or 90 BPMs and I have a beat that is an 80 or 90 BPM beat, do I speed that beat up to 160 or 180 to keep in line with the rest of the song ( i.e vocals, synths, etc..) going along at 80 to 90? How does that work? It seems to me that if all the elements in your song are at a certain BPM and you want them to stay that way but you want the beat to be D and B style, the only way would be to double your beat BPM. If this is so, doesnt that limit the range in which D&B song elements can be formatted in terms of BPM? Maybe you can up the BPM a 4th? half? 3/4? HELP! Thanx in advance. You guys and this site rocks!

:cheers:

hi,
well,ya answered your question yourself already,, sam e like ya wanna implement a snare roll in a 4/4, simply change to another resolution 4 the beat ,like double it and ya have on same scheme twice the space to put in notes, so it stays in speed but gives ya enough room to insert weirdo breaks :)
grtx

hey kazoo....thanx for the reply. However, Im not really sure what you are trying to say. Could you (or anyone else) clarify that for me a little better? Thanx to all.

well you said a mouthful so I'll try to help you but if I missed your question sorry I'm a retard. You are asking how to incorporate a d&b drumline into a hip-hop or other drumline running around 80-90 bpm. It's really easy actually, since a drum&bass drum usually runs at about 170-180 bpm or so. All you do is double the bpm in your head, so 1 measure of a hip hop drum becomes 2 measures of d&b drums. graphically speaking:

if 0 is the kick and X is the snare, here's a typical measure of a hip hop drum:
0---X---0-0-X---
like boom, chick, boom boom chick

so if you want to hit it up with a d&b drum, suppose x is a different snare sound and o is a different kick sound

0-x-Xox-0-x-Xox-

use that for your transition between the hiphop and the d&b, then when you want to go all the way to d&b, do:

o-x--ox-o-x--ox-

voila, 1 measure of hip hop into 2 of d&b (of course, your sequencer still sees it as 1 measure, but you know it really represents 2).

ok hope that makes sense, if you have any more questions then post them.
peace

also, if you're concerned that you won't have enough sequencer resolution once you transform into a d&b beat, you can do the whole track at 180 bpm and just have the hip-hop beat double-spaced...that way when you switch to the d&b break, you still have enough freedom for interesting drum tricks.

peace

OK.....I have breakbeat loops that Ive made in FL in stock. They seem to translate well into D&B beats. They are all around 80 to 100 BPM. Now....I compose all my sounds, once created, in ACID. If I set every loop besides my beat to 80 BPM, would I have to set my beat loops to 160? It makes sense to me to double my breakbeats against the other trax to give it the D&B sound AND to keep it lined up sonically with everything else. Is this making sense to anyone? Sorry....I too am a retard. :p Not calling you one though. Thank you everyone for your replies....and hopefully I will get the answer.

Back