Clashing notes-gimme some pointers

7thSense

I make beats by ear and generally know how to keep things in the same key, just by sound. I don't have much theory knowledge, so technically which notes clash? like do all the keys need to be in the same scale as the root note?

I have a melody and a counter melody which different notes falling together at the same time but the key is okay, but the bass line I started off with sounds like it's off key with the main melody.

So technically If the melody is on D,E,G,F at the point where the bass hits, which notes would clash or should the bass always be on the same notes as the melody?

that's all theory stuff about notes and scales, but I don't see anything about actual composing. Does anyone know or we all going by ear?

basically, the music theory isn't going to tell you much, if anything, about actual composing. But it's going to give you a set of rules to help you make choices.
With no rules, your choices are literally limitless.

However you might not like the choices you get, when you check out classical theory, much of it is based on early classical music - more specifically, JS Bach. But the idea is that this is a starting place to learn about theoretical ideas and concepts. Once you learn the basic rules of this earlier classical music, you can see how and why the music sounds the way it does. Then you can change these rules and look at ways more recent composers have dealt with organizing pitch material. And then learn how to create your own ways of organizing pitches.

so, wait, no, it will tell you something about composing.. it will tell you what choices would be better than others. And that will help you know what notes you might want to use.

since you're into more popular music (that is to say stuff with a beat) then you should check out some jazz theory. You might want to search under "jazz functional harmony" or something like that.

If I were you, I'd check out a website like www.musictheory.net until you understand the basics of what's going on there. Then move on and look into jazz theory. Just because the jazz side of it is more applicable to the kind of music that you're into.

Thanks, I've done well going by ear , I just got a lil stumped with this one track.
I had the melody on D,E,G,F and the bass hits that I had were at the same point on D,G,F,A. So they were going in a different direction, and mainly the G,F is where I was uncertain if it clashed.

Back