Chord Progression Question

krazyk

Money Over All
I learning the minor scales now. I have a question about the progressions though. Say i'm using the Gmin scale and im using the 1-4-5-1 progression (Gmin,Cmin,Dmin,Gmin). Would I be able to use a 7th chord or another chord? I see some songs have minor chords and have a 7th chord or some other type of chord. How do u determine if you can use a dim or 7th or any other chord?

if (play_chords= 1 )then
if(sound_good = 0)then
use <=0;
elsif (sound_good = 1) then
use <=1;
end if;
else
end;

ONE <~~~~nerd

You can just add the 7th note on top of the triad no problem. There are also alot of modes and variations of the major and minor scales http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

Every note of the scale is a chord which can be used to create progressions, minor scales have major chords in them too, just like major scales have minors in them too.

one-derkid said:
if (play_chords= 1 )then
if(sound_good = 0)then
use <=0;
elsif (sound_good = 1) then
use <=1;
end if;
else
end;

ONE <~~~~nerd

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Krazy K Productions said:
If it sounds good...you should use it! Especially if you are doing electronic/pop/hip hop...break the boundaries!

Good Luck

DJ Kru

yup..that's exactly what i meant.

krazyk said:
I learning the minor scales now. I have a question about the progressions though. Say i'm using the Gmin scale and im using the 1-4-5-1 progression (Gmin,Cmin,Dmin,Gmin). Would I be able to use a 7th chord or another chord? I see some songs have minor chords and have a 7th chord or some other type of chord. How do u determine if you can use a dim or 7th or any other chord?

You are asking about chords of the G natural minor scale(6th mode of Bb Major)? You can add a flat 7th to any of those to get: Gm7, Cm7, and Dm7. You can work out on paper, or use software, to get all the possible chords for a scale. It helps, IMO, to have these chord/scale lists. It helps to know what belongs to what to break boundries, besides just listening and playing.

Last edited:
Co-incedence...my music name is actually DJ Kru...and my music is labeled under Krazy K Productions...

You work it out krazyk?

DJ Kru

lol..thats my old rap name....this is a old acct

If it sounds good...you should use it! Especially if you are doing electronic/pop/hip hop...break the boundaries!
^^^^^^

To add, there are no boundaries in music theory. Music theory is only the language to describe music. You could walk up to a piano, smash down a number of keys, and music theory has a name for it. There are no rules that say you can't use non-diatonic chords, color tones, chromatic notes, ect.

Don't confuse diatonic theory with music theory as a whole. Diatonic theory is just the beginning.

Do yopu mean a dominant 7th on the V chord? Because sevenths can be added to any of those chords. Gm7, Cm7, Dm7......

The Dm being the V chord in that G minor scale can be used either as a minor 7th or you can easily use a D dom7 as well. It's perfectly acceptable to use a dominant 7th chord in a minor scale. All depends on what you wish to do, if you are looking for a cadential sound, use the D dominant 7th.

Depending on what you are doing though ( Like using a Gm7 ) it might sound a little 'off' using the F sharp as well, so omitting the F natural might work better and resolve to a Gm triad.

Is this what you meant?

Back