bjorkbeats

Any time. Make sure you post some of your new tracks once you get it. I promise they will sound very different in a good way:cheers:

Do you know what else might be cool. I am not sure how focused the mic would be in terms of not gathering non intended noises but getting one of those mics with the parabolic dish for listening long range would grant you an easy way of getting factory noises and generally things you would not ordinarily be able to get. What do you think?

My high school music teacher had a portable dat with a home-made pre amp taped to it. He and I went out with a stereo mic and got some sounds at a playground near by.

I then imported the samples onto his K2000 edited them.

It was a fun project and great experience.

BENJ-AMG said:
Get inventive when you record. I built and entire kit from recordings I made in my garage. ANYTHING can be a drum. I spent an hour dropping a shoe onto everything I could find and another hour making rhythms with a magazine. It forces you to get creative, working this way. Once you have recorded it, you can truncate the sample in interesting areas to find new rhythms. If you have sequenced something you like and have a beat that you're happy with, try taking elements that make up the backbeat, or the accent beats or whatever and just shift em over by a sixteenth or 1/32 note. You will get beats and cool off timings that you might not have otherwise thought of. ( I use that all the time) This works best if you can assign individual elements to their own tracks, so you dont interrupt the underpinnings of the original groove that you liked in the first place. Like the guys were saying, you have to get in and do lots of creative editing if you want this type of sound. I know stockpiling sounds to build your kits from is time-consuming but its well worth the effort.

hey man, I think you're doing the things very well. I will love to hear something of that.

I wander forests of this small country with an outdoors mic, getting sounds where I find them. And when the sounds are filtered, edited, programmed and organized, I resample myself playing them.

Thanks alot. Its great fun collecting your own sounds isn't it! I don't know how to post tracks on this forum but you can hear a sound clip from one of our tracks that we did for an experimental compilation called Area 615. Go to discrec.com and listen to the track by Jensen Sportag. The track title is Miss Violets Unscheduled Darkroom Liason. It's a bit of a departure from what we've been doing lately, with it's blippy vocal snippets. Check it out and let me know what you think!

A few people talk about using Waldorf Attack for this. Apparently you can get some great digital sounds from it. Anyone care to share their expertise?

BENJ-AMG said:
Okay, here they are.

Recorder: Sony MZ-N707 Type R

Mic: Sony ECM-MS907

The mic is a condensor mic so make sure you put a AA battery in it. I walked around for 30 min. trying to figure out why I wasn't getting a good level before figuring that one out!:D

just got the MD you mentioned - do you know if I could directly plug in and use studio mics like a Studio Projects B1 or RODE NT1 instead of the consumer-level SONY MS907?

I will probably get the SONY anyways as it is cheap (~$60) and seems to be perfect to walk around with. Still wonder if studio mics would work directly

mano 1 said:

just got the MD you mentioned - do you know if I could directly plug in and use studio mics like a Studio Projects B1 or RODE NT1 instead of the consumer-level SONY MS907?

No dice with those - getting 48V phantom from a single 1.5V AA battery would be quite an achievement. :)

I have no idea of the model used, but we used to record our band practice sessions with a MD & some really pitiful looking Sony stereo pair, but the quality was astonishingly good. All I remember that the mic was physically very small - sorry about the vague info.

Hey thanks for replying to my question I appreciate - makes sense! ;)

I will go with the model BENJ talked about earlier in this thread, the SONY MS907.. It's made for MD recording, is stereo, and is cheap (~$60).

:)

Can't wait to receive my MD... Should be here tomorrow

-mano

cool!

you're going to love your MD mano
they are the epitome of dope

i need to dig out my parabolic mic and go out with my MD.. i got some sheep sounds on a disc somewhere but thats all..

infradead said:
cool!

you're going to love your MD mano
they are the epitome of dope

I got it!!!! :)

It's very nice. I don't have the microphone for it yet though, so I haven't sampled yet. Baby steps, baby steps :)

mano 1 said:
Ultimately it'd be cool if a mic was small enough to clip to your pocket and still good enough to grab a good range of frequencies.

Hey, now that you got the MD, it sounds like you might like to check these out: there are professional binaural (or semi-binaural) microphones for field recording that you can wear just like regular small headphones. They are the secret weapons of many field recordists :) as the frequency spectrum tends to be very good, too.

To get an impression of these kinds of mics, see for example http://www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm

I am not that familiar with the technique myself, though. It was introduced to me when the Finnish composer and audio artist Petri Kuljuntausta did a quick workshop/lecture at my uni some time ago. The outdoor recordings he demoed, recorded with a setup like this, sounded extremely clean.

Last edited:
i haven't gotten to use one, but i've heard Sherman Filter Banks work. I actually asked this question a few months back, and thats the answer i got. One guy even said you can't help but sound like bjork with one of them.

Back