any producers went to full sail for recording arts in orlando?

I'm actually investigating Full Sail as a school option along with SAE. Personally I think that theory foundation will broaden my ability and create more opportunities. It would be cool to have my own full scale studio yet know how to run it with expertise.

I would like to go to miami dade if they teach mixing .that's all I need to know . But lataly I've been planning on taking my project to a local studio and watching everything the engineer does to make my song radio ready . after that I will just take the session back to my studio and examine it before you know it I will be able to do it by my self.

^^^^ but they teach other stuff before like math an english an history and all that, thats cool but i really want to just get to the point an learn what i came there to learn

i too am interested in full sail i live in md and have family down in orlando so i am thinking of going....all i heard was nothing but good things about them but after reading this thread i am having second thoughts...i just want to learn anything and everything that is music related i.e. mixing, film scoring, music theory etc etc and from what i read about them full sail offers all of that...so is there anyone here with reasl experience with full sail...

^^^^^ it's nice to look at peoples's opinions but dont let that stop you cause to tell the truth i guess the learning experience is all up to you. an its not right in orlando its in the outskirt boring ass "winter park" its 20-30mins from orlando, the lab times are on a 24 hour schedule(think) its hella expensive so if thats profession you want make sure you want to go through with it. i'd really like to talk with someone who went there and graduated to get some real info, an i heard there's NO GIRLS! other than the hookers strollin up an down the streets of winter park an orlando.

well there is a site saying that full sail is a scam here is a link to the guestbook
http://members.cox.net/cgi-bin/guestbook.cgi?webspace=he_stud&action=view&start=1

and look at what everyone is saying..they are saying it isn't worth 30+ grand so i am considering going to sae and going to the ausie campus cuase it is cheaper and living accomadations is included...plus sae is worlwide..i would love to go to berklee but that is way way way way to expensive...

Say,
Why go to college for engineering when your doing it as an hobby.
You don't need no degree to be an producer?
It just takes time and knowledge of what your doing.
And Ca$h.

Dark Akrital said:
Say,
Why go to college for engineering when your doing it as an hobby.
You don't need no degree to be an producer?
It just takes time and knowledge of what your doing.
And Ca$h.

i know i dont need a degree but i wanted to learn how to mix an all that knowledge an i guess if i dont make producing i can have a job.

HEAVY_WEIGHT said:
^^^^^ it's nice to look at peoples's opinions but dont let that stop you cause to tell the truth i guess the learning experience is all up to you. an its not right in orlando its in the outskirt boring ass "winter park" its 20-30mins from orlando, the lab times are on a 24 hour schedule(think) its hella expensive so if thats profession you want make sure you want to go through with it. i'd really like to talk with someone who went there and graduated to get some real info, an i heard there's NO GIRLS! other than the hookers strollin up an down the streets of winter park an orlando.

i dont know where you got that its 20 30 min from orlando when its like 10 min to down town,boring i think not when you got ucf like three lights down road and valencia 15 min in the other direction. now as far as full sail itself iwas thinking of going but still undecisive (its mad expensive).full sail will accept any one with a ged a highschool diploma and dough, meaning the same people complaining are the same people that went out got toasted and not perform well in class,you have all the resources and books and teachers there to be capable of doing your thing.and the whole theres no girls issue who cares you there to do yyour thing then when you get out you can hit up one of those i got mommies money to blow cum sucking guttersluts from ucf ,trust me its a 2 min drive to ass land.just my 2 cents though

DA RIPPER said:
someone said that it would be hard to find a sound egineer job thats not true an audio engineer has many fields he can work in not just music like t.v. ,radio,movies,local news station,video editing,and many more

bascailly dont let anyone tell you what to do get out and decide for yourself

peace
so so true. that's why i'm still going to full sail around 2005 or 2006 hopefully regardless of all the negetivity this school is getting, whether true or not. you can't knock the facilities, plus they have a new post production degree program

Hey,

am a little late coming to this thread...my brother went there back in '94. back then it was about $20k/year tuition (now i think its around $35k/year).

shortly afterwards he got a job as a sound engineer at disney making $15/hour. whoop-dee-sh*t

imo.. i think the only reason they've become so well known is due to their successful marketing gimmicks. it's like a little gold star on your social status report card when someone says "yea i went to full sail".

sure you can learn stuff and their studios are packed with all the high end recording equipment you can play with. but it's like any other school you go to- you still gotta find some work in your field afterwards if you plan on making it pay for itself (unless of course you're just bored and you got a few T-Bills under the matress you don't know what to do with). and im sure since then competition among graduates has only gotten stiffer.

personally...if you just want to produce your own stuff then invest that $$ in yourself and your own equipment. besides, it used to be (and most likely still is) you could go down to the school and let the students practice recording your stuff. so you get a [sometimes] professional recording of your music mixed and mastered on choice equipment- just like any other trade school.

since i never attended there i can only speak from seeing my bro's experience and you would probably learn all the pro stuff. but if its like any other "professional" endeavor theres probably a video out there you could learn everything they teach for $19.95

Last edited by a moderator:
idunno i went down there this past weekend and man it looks off the chain- i took pictures but i haven't loaded em

I live in florida and have looked at different options. Fullsail was a great idea when I was a sophomore in highschool. I know someone who graduated he hated it so much he doesnt want to talk about it.

I'm leaving the state sometime in 2005 to attend (hopefully) SAE in nashville. Like JonV said, you've got to find work in your feild afterwards. Especially in the entertainment indrusty. Schools promise to "get you the job", but they cant. Mosty likely they wont...sometimes you've got to get off your ass and do it yourself. It's one thing to go to a school for knowledge, but you've really got to help yourself as well.

-Geoffrey

35k a year.... you are fecking kidding me.... In ireland an acredited Sound Engineering course is state funded so it costs about $250 a year to study....
With $35K I would definately buy the kit and screw everything else. A Pro-Tools rig, quality near and far field monitors, quality mics and a build an isolation booth. Get to know every band in the local area and start working. It is completely true you do not have to be acredited to be a sound engineer. You just have to be willing to work for peanuts and hope you have a decent life.
A friend recorded the vocals for an international pop act (as big as it gets for jobbing engineers) He got $650 dollars for one days work but he might only get that a few times a year the rest of the time its demo work and live work.
In terms of getting a better sound.
Read: -
BOB KATZ:Mastering
CURTIS ROADS:Computer Music Theory
MARTIN WALKER:Sound, Synthesis and Sampling
and any introductory book on sound engineering brought out by the MUSIC TECHNOLOGY PRESS or FOCAL PRESS.
The only way to get work producing or engineering is to just do it. People go to college thinking its going to be handed to them afterwards like they are doing accountancy or something. It is not like that... your time would be better spent working as a tea boy, live engineers assistant. Somewhere where you can get to know the people who are doing things.. get into the circle so when something needs to be done they can think of you. Never turn down a gig... no matter what. Do every piece of crap until you can pick what you want to do(which is probably never)
35K a year is really crazy... do marketing or something and just spend your free time learning the kit and go out at night meeting the people/bands/producers you need to know.
I have been working in sound for about 10 years so i'm telling you there is no money in it and the only way your ever going to do anything is by working as early as you can. Lots of people get nowhere and end up in crappy jobs. It has been pure luck that i've been able to sustain myself while others have not. Poor americans... do you all have to pay so much for education. Why are you not furious. In Ireland education is a considered a right not a privilige and it is the states responsibility. I guess its population is about half that of Manhattan but so is its income.
BUY THE KIT
WORK WITH OTHER ENGINEERS
GET TO KNOW EVERYBODY
NEVER TURN DOWN A GIG (no matter if u think you'll feck it up. On the job pressure forces you to meet the demands placed on you)
DO EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING
35K????? There should be a law....

re: $35k/year

re: $35k/year....

thats capitalism hard at work there buddy...state funded stuff is also the reason europe and U.K tax rates are even more outrageous than U.S.

besides from the looks of public housing, its apparent that us yanks are just not interested in public education/health care, etc.

edit:
but you're right..if they told me $35k i'd tell them, "kiss my @$$ i'll figure it out myself".

Last edited by a moderator:
Im staying the states at the minute..... I saw an ad on tv advertising Lo Carb Diets for Dogs..... Thats capitaliam hard at work.

AYo I toured Full Sail. A While back, actually my flight left for Chicago on Sept. 10, 2001. How real is that. But anyways It is hella expensive, like $25 G's at the time, and it is constantly going up. But the facilities are state of the art and regardless of what people say it is a good place to be you just have to be financially stable already before you go there. ALSO they now do offer a Bachelor's Degree program so you will have an actual accredited Bachelor's Degree and that is always a plus. Plus the ability and access to all the latest Gear Period, the 18-Hour Work days are not outraegous, they said they want you to be used to the INDUSTRY so you might have a long class (4-9) that is like a studio session and then you might have an actual studio session at 3 A.M. But man is it worth it I'd have to give it the thumbs up. But you can also do a lot with that money also...Maybe you should just find a quality studio and find out if you can intern under a engineer or producer that has been in the business for years.

Back