25-key or 49-key midi controller ?

N

nirvanic

Hi !
I am going to buy a new midi keyboard controller, and i was wondering...What are the advantages of 49-key keyboards when it comes to composing ? And what are the disadvantages of 25-key keyboards ?

Any responses will be very appreciated !

I was a bit worried at first but I'm very happy with my 25 key keyboard. The lack of keys doesn't come into play too much and it is so easy to just swap it with the keyboard without it taking up too much space.

I do drums and bass and most other things on keys and it's good for that. Probably not so good for learning the piano on though.

EP

Depends what you want to do.

25 key is only 2 octaves. For drums, fx sounds, effects and stuff like that, this is ok. However, for melodies, you will struggle. Especially if you intend to play continous melodies (>4 bars) with chords.You could just about survive with the 49 key, but I would go for the 61 key

As I say, it depends what you will be doing. If you arent really playing any elaborate melodies, the 25 key is ok.

The main advantage is just having more keys to play and not having to switch back and forth on the octave button, but even if your recording a melody that require both hands and more octaves you could always do it in 2 takes, just lay down the right hand part, change the octave then record the left hand part. I would go with the 49 keys just for convenience of being able to play with both hands.

trust me when i say anything less then 4 octaves is a waste (unless ur portable) i got a 41 key and its not enough i need 5 at leaste but thats just me.

^ 41 keys? Haven't seen one with 41...kinda pointless?

Anyway, yeah I actually just sold my Fantom X6 (61 keys). I'm getting and Axiom Pro 49. I need at least 49 keys.

49 keys is what I use naturally even on my X6. Three octaves is plenty for me and it still allows me to be portable, which is 70% why I'm switching to the Axiom...9 ibs vs. 30 ibs

I wouldn't waste money on a larger controller unless your playing skills are up to par. I've seen people blow money on a keyboard, and it hampers them in the composition, especially when they aren't "trained" in music theory.

The only reason I would even use a midi keyboard is because I can play it faster than I can paint it or click it.

For me it's more of a time saving issue. Either way I can click, or I can play it. One just saves a little more time. But, buying a keyboard won't magically make your productions any better.

Hope that helps!

i have an axiom 25... its good for just about everything... but when im really trynna get down and play sumthin n hit certain keys i need sumthin like 49 or 61.... i think i might upgrade to a 88 key soon... yall think i should wait for the mpk88??... there's no set date tho right??

saying "u dont need more octaves if ur playing skill is up to par" is a compleet load of crap. what happens if u wanna play somthing simple on a high octacve and somthjing simple on a lower octave and u dont wanna do totakes and keep hitting the octave button so u get a nice natural feel?

its about expression! if ur an expressive player that jumps around and uses all the octaves frequantly then yes get somthing bigger. if not then get somthing smaller

Back