white noise!?!??!? <-- home studio how do i get rid of it

C

chabbi4116

Hi, I recently added to my studio a machie 1202 mixer to hook up my stuff with. I have event 20/20 monitors, 2 turntables, and a sampler...., and the problem is that when the volume is on even half way high, i can hear a fuzz. Idont expect it to be silent, but if i crank it up, it becomes pretty loud. Is this normail???? is there any way to get rid of it?? better shorter cables??? hellppppppp

Get good quality balanced XLR cables & make sure everything is earthed or grounded as it should be. Turn down channels that aren't being used. Try not to use too much gain.

:)

MM

Barring that

If you've done the above and still hear stuff get an EQ an filter out everything above 10khz. There are certain plugins that will automatically do it. Obviously they very in quality but teh Wave X-Hum when tweaked just right works amazingly. If thats even a word.

Re: Barring that

seanwd11 said:
If you've done the above and still hear stuff get an EQ an filter out everything above 10khz. There are certain plugins that will automatically do it. Obviously they very in quality but teh Wave X-Hum when tweaked just right works amazingly. If thats even a word.

Why would you want to filter out everything over 10K?

I believe you should always treat the cause not the symptoms. I could have suggested that the guy sets Waves up or the Sonic Foundry NR plug in both of which are good, but that's a bad way to work. You end up with a poor quality track.

Learn how to create quiet efficient gain structures & use the equipment to its best. Rather than saying "we'll patch it up later with a plug in".

One thing I just noticed in the original post...

"problem is that when the volume is on even half way high, i can hear a fuzz"

Are we talking about the master output from your amp here or from the Mackie? I'm assuming you have the passive 20/20s not active ones. On amps feeding passive speakers, unless we're monitoring VERY LOUD then the volume never really seems to get turned up beyond 3 or 4 at most, on a normal 1 to 10 scale. Have a look at the mic gains on channels you're not using & make sure they're all turned down on the Mackie. Make sure that the desk is also outputting a healthy level signal too.

:)

MM

Notice I said 'if you've tried the above and all else fails' do this...
Agreed solve the source, but since we aren't there its another option.

In regards to teh 10k thing I forgot to mention someting in haste. I meant to say use a graphic EQ with a sharp Q setting above 10k. Find where the source of the white noise is and voila. Assuming all is well but I have a feeling that the 'fuzz' is a lot more wide spread than just simple white noise.

Back