Vocal booth glass

fire1

Hi!

I will construct vocal booth in my house so can someone give me tips about studio glass.

What kind of glass is it,how to place and sealed it etc.

Thanks!

you need glass thats doubled (forgot the name but its NOT double panned) its like two pieces of glass glued together. YOu need two pieces of that and you will need to angle at least ONE piece. look on google for specs.

I thought it was like 1" thick glass. It may have to be doubled but I am not sure.

To seal it I guess you should use good silicone like they use for fish tanks.

go to your neiborhood window store( gee wiz i can't remember the name of the glass now) but is double paned. if i remember correctly it was glass than plexi-glass and than another piece of glass tilted.

Peace
when I built my door for my booth, I used two plexi glass pieces. I knew what size I needed becasue of the space I cut in the door to put them there. One went on one side and the other went on another side of the door. In between I put installation to keep out noise, my vocals were tight ass hell !!!

No it is not double panned glass like you would find in windows for home use.

The glass is just standard tempered glass from 1/8 to 1/4 thick. The glass is "floated" so to speak on rubber and then sealed in. Each piece is on seperate ends of the wall giving you from 4 to 6 inches of dead air space in between, depending on the wall thickness.

There is a lot of debate these days on whether angling one of the pieces makes any difference what so ever.

I did mine with acrylic plexiglass and I am quite happy with the results. You do have to be carefull in cleaning so it doesn't get scratched.

I also placed 1 inch foam around the interior dead space to help with standing waves that might form inside the space.

in regards to having the glass parallel or slightly angled - my mate recently approached a glass manufacturer about this when building his studio.

if you're using proper sound proofing glass, you don't actually need to worry about doubling up. proper sound proofing glass is in fact created by vacuum sealing 2 sheets together. The 2 panes don't actually touch, and there's no air between them (vacuum), so it's silent (sound cannot travel without a medium).

Back