studio mixing board question

S

sup909

ok i currently use all sodtware so im not very knowlegeable when it comes to hardware. ive noticed that many artists havea studio mixing board along with all of thier rack mounds an keyboards. im curious as to how its set up. do the instruments all run into the board, and then the board runs into the computer system. or is the board setup entirely for the audio output? im asking becasue most of use with virtual studios lay out our tracks in progs lile acid, cubase, and pro logic. that means that most ofthe sound is prerecorded and not live.

wELL it depends on teh individual whos' running the board...
Usually the board comes before (pre) most of hte rackmount units... so the engineer can control how much of a signal get's sent to each external unit...

well i'm in the process of moving all my material out of cubase and onto my S3000 and JP-8000 (it's a small and meager set up right now). there are lot of different options as to how to set up a project studio and it's usually pretty heavily dependent on what equipment you have. The other aspect that i'm working on is creating multiple versions of tracks, so when i go to do shows i've got a range of arrangments to pull from.

of course i plan on taking a mac and using cubase as my live sequencer (midi and some VSTi's like rebirth) but i also plan to run 8 outs from cubase so i can adjust and manipulate the mix on the fly.

i have all my hardware hooked into my Behringer MX2004a desk. it has stereo main and stereo Alt outputs. the main outs go to my amp and speakers, the alt outputs go to my soundcard. this way i can put a signal into my computer by pressing a button to change a channel's output from main to alt

Back