software or hardware?

J

jackpot777

I was just wondering which is better for mixing down songs software or hardware and which name brands are the best?

Oh god ... it's another case of (cue dramatic music)...

THE THREAD THAT WILL NOT DIE !!!

Quality hardware mixers are Mackie. I guess mixing with software is mostly just fiddling with mouse unless you buy a dedicated controller mixer, see this thread about mixing: https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51301

It really depends whether your studio is hardware or software based. If you have hardware synths, it's best to have a hardware mixer where you have all the synths connected to it and the effects. But if you work software based, there's really no need for a hardware mixer. If you work software based then you can get the controller mixer I mention in the thread to where I posted the link.

I'm just mixing with mouse. :)

Last edited:
But if you work software based, there's really no need for a hardware mixer
Baa, there is always a need for a hardware mixer, mixing in software is allmost allways done at lower bitdepths than hardware. Plus when you consider how much CPU drain all the EQ's and dynamics processing in software would use it becomes a very attractive option.

"mixing in software is allmost allways done at lower bitdepths than hardware."

really? is it not possible to record to 64 bit through a software mixer as opposed to a max of 24 bit through hardware? *even though theres really no point from what i gather*

mungo, what I meant was that if you only work with softsynths there's little point in getting a hardware mixer. Firstly, you would need a soundcard that has lots of outputs, as many as you have channels in your track. I have usually 10 drum sounds and about 8 synths. So this is 18 channels. I would need a sound card with 18 outputs if I wanted to mix with a traditional hardware mixer.

Instead I can use a midi controller mixer and link the faders of the software to the faders of the hardware and mix with midi.

But if you work entirely with hardware synths, then you have a point about the EQ and effects not draining any cpu.

Last edited:
Back