Smoking Around Gear

no smoking near my computers, or gear. Unless it's those little candy cigarettes. I hate when the keys in a studio are yellow instead of white. Also cigarette residue gets in computer fans and will make the smell live on forever!

I don't have any beef against smokers. I just don't want it near my gear.

Last edited:
I laugh when I read ads on ebay saying that the piece of equipment they're selling has been in a non smoking studio. Like it's suppose to mean that it's better for the equipment? Saying that cigarette smoke causes electronics to degrade is like saying masturbation causes blindness. It's an old wive's tale, or in this case an old producer's tale. The only thing that causes circuits to degrade is heat (caused by current) or moisture. I don't understand how this stupid rumor got started. Is there any empirical data supporting this? It's plain superstition, and I wouldn't believe a word of it without seeing hard data. Mind you I quit smoking 9 months ago, so if anyone should be anti-smoking it's me.

Last edited:
Well, as long as you don't ash in it (the equipment); it shouldn't be a problem.
LR

what a load of rubbish.
have you ever looked a piece of equipment thats been in a studio where people have smoked regularly for even only 6 months... yuck
its covered in a film of yellow nicotene, on the outside, on the inside all over the circuit boards, inside the pots, in the jack outputs etc etc. if you dont believe me just look at the inside of a smokers house with th enice yellow wash over everything. why would this not go onto your equipment?
while it doesnt corrode the circuits directly it DOES gum them up, fluff and dirt sticks to it, pots begin to crackle, buttons stop working properly or hold on etc etc.
what about your monitors, it will coat the cones and effect sound quality also over time
when you multiply this over a few years the equipment gets into a right mess, washing regularly with a damp cloth can keep the outside clean but what about the internals which are really the important parts.
if you clean them with solvent then you are just substituting one stick residue for another plus removing any original anti corrosion properties the circuit boards had and its impossible to get into all the little places.

smoking does damage your gear, period and its best left out of your studio if you can.
its not too much to ask to leave your room when you need a puff is it?
i personally would be very wary of buying a piece of equipment that had obviously been smoked around unless it was REALLY cheap.

neilwight,
I don't buy it. I know many smokers who smoke in their house, and I've never seen this mythical film you're talking about. Anyway, if it's not the smoke that gets into the circuits, than it's the dust. Anyway, nicotine has a boiling point of 247 degrees Celcius, which is around 476.6 degrees Farenheit. The microsecond you inhale the smoke and it hits the air in your mouth at 37 degrees celcius it returns back to a liquid. That's why teeth yellow. So unless you're blowing it directly into your gear I doubt it's getting to your circuits. That is plain freaking science my friend. Show me hard data that says smoking shortens the life of you're studio equipment. I challenge you to find it. Send me a picture if you can since you've seen it. By the way, the Earth is still flat and the reason combustion occurs is because when an object is lit it gives off phlogiston. These were all common misconceptions that made sense at the time until science proved otherwise. Then again, there are still people who think the world is still flat. They're called the "Flat Earth Society". Here's their web address http://www.flat-earth.org I suggest you join.

D

Last edited:
wtf r u on about fumblin. have you got seratonin depletion causing you to be prone to bouts of anger and depression?

in my experience the smoke gets into the machines, making it stickier inside than would normally be the case. this inturn means more dust sticks to the components and it all gums up.
as for science, were you aware that bees cant fly and that they have as yet been unable to explain how gravity works ( just for a few examples among many). the wealth of scientific knowledge is far from complete although i doubt very much that the present topic is an important source of research grants or will benefit the world.
please also remember that science also said smoking was good for you and denied it was harmful until only very recently.
the science community dont exactly have a great track record with regards to the truth unfortunately. academic reputations and big business get in the way all too often , a very sad situation from which stagnation can only arise, but thats for another forum.

get some older equipment from a studio thats had people smoking regularly in it, open it up and look at the push buttons, circuit boards etc. they are covered in a yellow film and lots of dust when compared to a similar piece which hasnt been subjected to the same conditions.

with regard to nicotene and its boiling point, are you trying to tell me that the temperature between the tip of a cigarette and the entry point at the mouth is always above 247 celcius. i would think not or else you would have burnt lips. if not then by defintion according to you, it would return to a liquid state midway along the cigarette and smokers would enjoy a nice drink.
common sense would tend to suggest that neither is the case and also dictate that if indeed it does return to a liquid, then some must remain in suspension in order for it to enter your mouth, lungs etc (that it does, along with the tar, is a fact that is no longer in dispute as far as i am aware) and further more it would be reasonable to assume that some must then come out in a similar fashion when you exhale.
please try to atleast think through your arguements before spouting forth next time.

i must apologies though as i stand to be corrected on one point. it may actually be the tar that causes the yellow film but regardless of which,it does exist. i just had to clean my granmothers windows (just over a year old) in her hall as they were all covered in it. a nice yellow goo that washed off with hot water....but wouldnt come off the cloth. what about the yellow tinted skirting boards, wallpaper etc that exists in smokers houses also? have you never redecorated somewhere a smoker has lived, stripped off a border on a wall and had the true colour of the wallpaper revealed?

also how do old people who smoke get yellow hair....does it seep through from their mouth

as for joining the earth is flat club.....i think i just might if it means i dont need to be in a group with you.

please dont quote "facts" at me when there are glaring holes in your theories and personally; i dont give a crap if anyone smokes near their gear.....but they are not doing it near mine.

i personally dont think that this topic required such a facist response or such a lengthy discussion when there are far greater problems requiring to be addressed in the world. perhaps the irony of insinuating that i was narrow minded and backward while being completely ignorant of , and unwilling to listen to other possibilities has also been missed by you.

as a final point, can you please learn your grammar rules in future before addressing me if you dont mind. communication is the key to intelligence and it will serve you well

Last edited by a moderator:
neilwight,
First of all, I'd like to commend you on an articulate and well thought out argument. Forgive me if my response seemed facist. I was merely reacting to you calling my first post rubbish. Aside from using the word "anyway" to start two adjacent sentences, I don't find any fault in my grammer. i'm usually very meticulous when it comes to grammer and syntax.

neilwight said:

the science community dont exactly have a great track record with regards to the truth unfortunately.

I'm not trying to piss you off here, but before you tell me to watch my grammer, better check yours too. You should've used the word "doesn' t" not "don't".

Last edited:
touche says i and doth tug upon my forlock , well done sir :p

it was an incorrect use of you're i had noted but apart from that it was a nice change from some of the posts on here which can be quite frankly.... appaling lol.

no offence taken and i hope none by you likewise.

sometimes it can be cleansing to have a small joust i think.

:)

neilwight said:

no offence taken and i hope none by you likewise.

sometimes it can be cleansing to have a small joust i think.

:)

I completely agree with you regarding having a small joust. I liken everything in life to a penis contest. Everyone is always trying to prove they have the bigger penis. i'm particularly guilty of this. BTW, no offence taken :)

Last edited:
doth tug on my forelock?
Last time I checked you
"touched fingertips to the brim of ones cap" to signal a "good show old bean, what what?"
I thought tugging on your forelock meant that you wanted a mug of ale and a platter of spicy taters...

forsooth kind sir,
you are but sadly misinformed. a gentleman would not be seen sporting a cap in the middle ages.
i am afraid that that form of attire arrived much later around the historic period of chas and dave.....
pie and mash
pie and mash
pie and mash la la laa

as for penis contests, we would do well to avoid them. i tend to find that its just dicks that hang out at these :) (pun very much intended)

hahaha,
this has turned into a jolly topic after all.
smiles all round :)
apologies for the corny joke....couldn't resist

Last edited by a moderator:
Back