Electric Bass

my question is ..
where do I connect my Soundcard Out into the mixer

the way i have it connected now is

My MC 307 into Line in 5/6
my A-Station into Line in 7/8
'Main out' into my 'Aux in 2' on the front unit of the Soundcard
and 'CTRLR out' into my Stereo Amp

Can i conect the soundcard back into the Mixer??

I tried connecting it into a empty channel , the sound comes through BUT it gives off a high Pitch noise

PLEASE HELP

SDJ..

you're generating a feedback loop....i'd put your coupter's sound out into channels 3 and 4 and use your aux sends as a stereo send to the computer's audio in (aux 1 send is left, aux 2 send is right)...this wil give you the advantage of being able to kill the signal to the computer until you need to record something.....you could also bring the signal back in on the aux 1 return...

is there a reason you were trying to loop through the computer (aka main outs into sound card then out of he sound card and in the board)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mosquito , hope that helps

"is there a reason you were trying to loop through the computer (aka main outs into sound card then out of he sound card and in the board)?"

No specific reason , besically im pretty new to Hardware so I looked at a diagram in a music mag showing how to set up a mixer together with my computer .
It didnt really explain what plugs in where so i was kindof tryed it out myself and it didnt work ..

Again thanks for ya help mate .

SDJ

Be very careful. As mosquito pointed out it looks like you set up a feedback loop. If feeback gets out of hand it can damage or destroy your speakers, your soundcard, and possibly other equipment, as well. Not to mention taking some kinda toll on your ears.

I'm assuming that you've got your monitor speakers hooked up to your mixer and you're looking to be able to hear the output of your soundcard through them. (This is how my setup is.) OR -- you may have audio tracks like vocals or guitars on your computer that you want to mix together with your outboard synth(s). (Also something I do.)

Where this latter can become tricky is when it comes time to record INTO your soundcard. It's VERY IMPORTANT in this case to make sure that you're you're recording your sound card's LINE IN -- but that you are NOT using the sound card's monitoring on the LINE IN -- IOW, you want the pre-recorded sounds on your computer (vocal, guitars, whatever) to go out the LINE OUT and into your mixer where they're mixed together with your synths, drum machines, etc, and then that mix is fed into the LINE IN where it's routed to the software RECORD mixer -- but NOT into the PLAYBACK mixer [where it would go right back out to the outboard mixing board and then back into the computer again and back out and round and round and next thing you know there's a horrible noise and maybe some blown speakers, soundcard, or ears. (In a window system, that essentially means making damn sure that LINE IN is muted or not enabled in the PLAYBACK mixer (although it will be enabled in the RECORD mixer). I can't emphasize how important it is to not get mixed up on this. I've been recording since the dawn of time (I recorded on analog tape for decades and I've been recording digital audio since 1989 -- since 1996 on the computer) -- and I blew out my old soundcard and and had ringing ears for days by making just this mistake (it was about 5 am and I was totally dinged out from working too long.)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for ya help.

I finally had time to set it up , and it works allright
BUT i have a problem .. anything i record has this Background hissing noise .. i never had this before and when i went back to my old way of seting up the noise is gone

whats the deal with that noise ??
Is is something the mixer pics up from my computer (eg: a pc fan )

Please Help

SDJ

you shouldn't be getting background hiss, and i don't think it's your pc fan unless you've got a mic that you are recording. i've been worried for awhile that when i started recording out of my behringer into my mac that i'd get some amount of "hiss" (dont' have an audion card yet) so i picked up the denoiser from behringer for later. but you shouldn't be getting this problem. do you have any hiss via gear? (aka have you checked each hardware unit's output to make sure none are generating the hiss?)

The only way i dont get a hiss is when i plug the mixers main out into the Aux on the soundcard and then plug the sound card main out into the stereo (monitors)

This is the way i orginally had it set up , except everyone says i shoud have the main out conected to the monitors and that i should have the computers out connected into channels on the mixer .

And after I set it up like you recomended it worked fine BUT it had that damn Hiss .. anything else that could cause a hiss

Again like i said im pretty new to a hardware mixer so im a bit stressed out ..

Thanks Again for the Help

SDJ

Back