Sampling

Y

YoYoYo

I dont get it ! What is sampling ? and what could u do with a sampler ?

What i have read is that with a sampler u could record an analog sound and make it digital and then manipulate in diffrent ways.
Or u could Load in some samples and then use them in difftrent ways.

And bassicly no more can i find out ,
But then i have also read about sampling songs and stuff (and that was what i thought u did with a sampler)
For example, if u just want the drum pattern in a song could u easily export it out and use it with a sampler ?

And if it is so wich software samplers are they ?

Have mercy people!!! be gentle with him. i really believe he genuinely doesnt know about what a sample is.
someone please explain these principles of aidio magic to this lost soul. and be nice please.

:angel:

Sampling = recording any bit of pre-recorded audio into a sampler/computer. The audio source could be a vinyl record or a CD, for example. Now, technically, recording anything could be referred to as sampling, and it's probably this aspect that confuses people - there's no mystery in sampling. It's just another name for recording, although in music production it usually, and this is the definiition you're after, means taking a part of an existing song/soundtrack/whatever.

When loaded into a sampler (be it a hardware or a software sampler; they both function identically, in theory) the sample can be manipulated in many ways, I won't go into detail here, but the most basic example would probably be sampling one note off a piano and then playing it back from the sampler with a midi keyboard - the sampler automatically pitches the sample to the right notes (ok, there's a whole array of terms here, root notes, key ranges, velocity ranges, layering samples, multisampling etc etc, but you'll find out about them later on), and so - you have sampled piano. Other basic sampler functions would include slowing down/speeding up a sample, or filtering/eq'ing/otherwise effecting it.

As for the "taking the drums off a song" issue, let's just state simply that you cannot take out separate instruments from a mixed down track. It simply isn't possible (and don't even mention taking out vocals :D). You'll have to find a spot in the song where the wanted instrument plays by itself, if possible. This is why people dig those crates - to find good, clean breaks/loops that haven't been used and abused a million times.

Hope this clears things up, I'm not sure if that had any sense of coherence in it, or if I was just ramblin'...:)

Back