Pro Tools errors and mishaps...please help i'm begging!

kaspaar

i'm running pro tools LE for my g4 imac. i need answers to a couple things.

1. whenever i run the program, i have to click okay a million times because of expired filters...can i get rid of these annoying popups so i can get right to the program?

2. as soon as i load it up, FINALLY, the task window pops up when i open a song file, and for a bunch of lines it says "synchronizing audio files", fade files...and a bunch of other things..under the status it'll say NeoAccess Error. Any suggestions? I think this also attributes for me not being able to close a song file or even pro tools without my comp crashing...i have to force quit so i don't have to restart.

3. also...how do you delete a track? after a while it says i have to delete a track or increase buffer. i have plenty of space and the playback stops a lot. i don't get it.

i'm havin a bunch of problems with pro tools. besides fixing them, or trying, should bi be looking for another multi-track program for my mac? any recommendations? PLEASE HELP! this is my music week and this program is holding me back from recording.

thanks a lot for reading this..my aim is bukaspaar if you can immediately respond!

Sounds like you are having lots of problems with builtup crap. The easy option is to uninstall and clean out any files left behind, then reinstall.

Are you using Mac OS9 or OSX?

For the answer to #1, you need to throw away the extra junk. (Chorus, mp3 export, DV toolkit). Where it is depends on your OS. If you can tell me more, I can help you more.

To clean up extra junk:

Open up the pane on the right side of the Edit window (by clicking the ">>" button on the bottom right). Click and hold on Audio, then choose Select->Unused Regions. Now choose Audio->Clear Selected. You can choose to delete unused stuff from disk, or just remove it from the session. If you want to be safe, just remove it from the session.

Next, you can make an optimized copy of the session. Choose File->Save Session Copy In. Select the option to copy all audio files, and point Pro Tools at a good place to save this session. Do it. Now you have a completely new session, with only the audio files that you're actually using for this session. This is also a good procedure to do when you need to back up a session to CD. This makes sure that you have all the audio files you need (whether they've been recorded live, imported from your library, or ripped from CD), and aren't copying any files that you don't need.
The easy option is to uninstall and clean out any files left behind, then reinstall.
This isn't always as effective on Mac as it is on PC.

There are ways to clean up your Mac, though. If you're using OS9, rebuild your desktop on a regular basis (Hold down the Option and Apple keys as you power up.). If you're using OSX, rebuild permissions (using the Disk Utility found in Applications->Utilities) after installing anything.

These aren't sexy, fix-it-all recommendations. They're like changing the oil in your car: doing it regularly won't make your car perform dramatically better, but if you don't do it, your performance will start to suffer.

Tell us more.

-Hoax

Back