ok, my mic and mixer- more advanced question about the beat recording in background..

• Thread starter Needless Productions
  • Start date
N

Needless Productions

i am completely set up.. other than this... when i record, it picks up what i'm rhyming to as well.. i tried unchecking all but the line in on my properties but my mixer is also hooked up to my computer via line out which is good but i dont know how to make it NOT record the beat while i'm rapping, does it have to do with unchecking it in playback? cause frankly im just too lazy to try that....

:

i am trying to record my vocals in acapella format

Last edited by a moderator:
the mixer is a Yamaha MG10/2

the one-red and one-white plugs(rca?), i have 2, i have them leading from the REC OUT on the mixer to the computer in the LINE IN.. so i had to get 2 pieces that you plug those into and it becomes a regular small headphone plug.. so they are going in both the line in and line out leading to 2TR IN on the mixer so i can adjust it however i wanna hear myself over the beat.. but the problem remains

and i got a 3-end splitter for my speakers and 2 pr headphones.. and the C-R OUT leads to an interface which then goes to the computer by USB.. and of course the mic

i know nothing about the soundcard though

Lol I know what you tryna do...

Plug in some headphones, and you hear the beat in the headphones but the mic won't record them.

You get a separate vocal track without the beats

thats what I do atleast...

and go to the volume thing in your control panel and unmute your mic, if you want to hear yourself in your headphones.

Last edited:
hmm.. probably you need a multiple bus mixer for this issue?

just from the top of my head, i think this connection will do on your current setup;

i.mic into Channel1
ii. 2 x Return into soundcard Output
iii. 1 x Send (Aux1) into soundcard Input (may need a y-cable for this one?)
iv. STOut into your speakers
v. your headphones into Phones :)

please let us know how you went

first of all you may want to invest into a audio interface box(i.e M-Audio or edirol) with a A/D converter and multiple I/O thats connect via usb port on your computer.And bring your vocal into cool edit that way. B/C if you go straight through the cpu soundcard your going to record a whole lot of cpu noise,hiss,etc.And the sound quailty of you vocal track are goingto be sh#tty.Then from cool edit you should able to bus/route just the drum track back to Audio Interface breakout box so that you can monitor and/or just listen to beat(only)while you record your vocals.This way you can record the vocal without having the beat/drumtrack bleeding or mixed in with your newly vocal track .I think you'll have better results that way.

Back