Novation Bass Station

dablakakk

I am about to purchase on but I wanted get some feedback about it. Is it good for Drum & Bass?Is it worth the $$?

Very sorry mate, but I would not recommend it.

I own a Novation Bassstation (keyboard version), and nowadays it isn't worthy the $$ anymore. A few years ago it was a wellknown TB-emulator and in fact a well-respected analog monophonic synth, but:

1) the TB-emulation fact is nonsense; I have a TB-303 too, and there is no comparison possible
2) nowadays there are better synths who are also not that expensive. For exemple the recent Novation A-Station - a very good VA synth - ± $520, which is using a much better sound engine, and has a whole bunch of fx onboard

Sorry for discouraging you, but you wouldn't want to regret the buying, isn't it ?

Peace !! :cheers:

novation

Well it is used I am only spending $50. Do you think it is worth that much? I am trying to built up my studio with alot of different modoles.

I've never used it, but for fifty bucks I'd buy it for sure.

Well, for only $50 - and if it's working fine - you can't be f###ed up !!

Now I'd say: take it !!

Enjoy !! :cheers:

I bet you can sell it for $500 within a few years - if you'd want to ...

It still is a kind of vintage synth.

wassup, I produce d&b and I own a bassstation so I am qualified to reply to this post. I got mine in fairly good shape for $200. I really like the sounds I can get from it, talk about beef, this thing can pump serious bass. I don't give a fluck about TB303 emulation so I'm not gonna comment on that. A few points worth considering:

a) the general construction quality is fairly low, so if you have a chance, you might want to check and make sure all the buttons and knobs work ok, in particular check the octave up and down keys, mine were practically dead when I got it. This is important cuz they double as patch write keys.

b) it's monophonic with only 1 out, just so you know.

c) for best results I'd recommend dedicating an effects unit to the bass station, I have mine permanently patched through an electrix MoFX and that gives me a lot broader sound palette.

d) try to get the rack version, theres a lot more patch slots on the rack, the keyboard version has only 7, which is limiting but workable. I wish I'd gotten the rack but the keyboard was all I could find. Other than the patch space, they're identical.

e) the station is pretty darn noisy, so you might want to dedicate a noise gate to it as well.

but after all is said and done, I definitely wouldn't get rid of mine, the bass it gives is just too much to let go. classic junglist basslines are a cinch, an Aphrodite sound is a cinch (pretty sure he used one for many of his most popular tracks), the glide mode is dope, people say you can use it for other stuff besides bass but I usually just keep it on the low freqs. if you have any questions email me ggoodwin37@hotmail.com

peace

Back