Moving from software to hardware question?

B

balzac

I have been creating music of various styles on the computer for years, using FL and a range of plugins. Although this setup is adequate, I would now like to start using hardware instruments. I understand how a midi controller keyboard and faders etc work, but I have a question about hardware. When I open an .flp file, it automatically opens the plugins with all of the parameters exactly how I left them when I closed it. I do not see how this could work with hardware synths. Do you have to save presets on your synths, and change them manually when you open another file, or does the MIDI data do this automatically? I feel that it must be the latter, because the former seems too fiddly, but I would like to understand more about hardware before I fork out the cash. I don't know much about using hardware, so any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

On an MPC you can save a songs presets to a floppy disk so when you open it up yeah everything should load up correctly....but if your using a rack with the MPC it gets a little dificult sometime, but still worth it.

Akai_MPC4000.jpg

Akai_MPC1000.jpg

mpc2000xl_se3.jpg

mpc2000xl_se1.jpg

mpc2000xl_se2.jpg

mpc2000xl.jpg

Its a series of sequencers that can produce music, main beats but you can do so much on it. Its great all around. If you hardware, its a must have. :cheers:

krushing said:
damn, those colored mpc's...they're probably the ugliest things i've ever seen :D

Yeah I thought they were limited editions or sumthin...lol

I do not see how this could work with hardware synths. Do you have to save presets on your synths, and change them manually when you open another file, or does the MIDI data do this automatically?
Most synths will allow you to save the settings into a "patch" or "performance patch" which will store all the settings, you just send it a midi program change to select it and away you go. Normally you put all the midi setup data into a 1 bar count in at the beginning of a track.

Thanks for your help, It looks like There are a few things I need to learn if I make the move to hardware, but I have a feeling that it will be worth it
Cheers

Back