Macintosh sound card options...

T

Tranceiant

Ok, so I'm a long time PC user who has seen the light in the last few years of what Mac's have to offer. Right now I'm working on a borrowed G4, but I'm hoping to get my own G5 setup in the semi-near future (as soon as I have a buyer for my left kidney).

Anyway, one thing that's been bothering me is that I haven't seen a whole lot in the way of good inputs / outputs for macs. I know the G5 comes with digital audio in and out, but I'd like to be able to get something while I'm using the G4. I'm leaning towards the idea of an external sound card, preferably with optical digital out (coaxial is harder to find on recievers). The more options the better, though, really.

Anyway, what have you done for audio on your Mac?

Thanks!

It'll have to be external as the G5's PCI slots are not compatible with those on the G4.

And its cheap enough to get a coaxial/optical convertor so dont let the digital format limit your choice

With the optical / coaxial converters, is it a lossless conversion or might I expect some loss in audio resolution? Also... do external sound cards have a good enough latency to really be used in a studio environment?

Its digital, there is no loss/distortion in changing the format.

External equipment has a slightly higher latency in general but its not enough to make much of a difference. Also super low latency is not required in the vast majority of studios.

Back