m box or cubase sl 2.0

backplay said:
The 32-track limitation is no limitation for me.

Whoa hold the fuq up. Is this true. I used more tracks than this when I was using fruity loops to strat out with. And it used to crash after like 45. So PT is out of the question.

dfacedxa said:
i wasnt talkin to you but reguardless i dont care if your a paid producer i dont care if your a paid prostitute who ever aint gettin paid at least the smallest amount most likely aint really doin ****. im not tryna come off as a tough guy. you wanna battle me with an mpc bring it i got hotter beats than you any day. ill arrange the venue come to nyc maybe youll learn more than in a forum

You love to talk out your azz dog. I come to nyc all the time but trust me i dont get paid to compete. First of all how do you know i use a mpc. Cats get all hissy when they feel threating. So im gona be the bigger person...and let the pass be the pass...wish you the best of luck with the way you come at people i can see you getting real far.

Well, in my opinion, the main differences are thus:

Pro Tools comes with hardware. It won't work without that hardware. If you've already got hardware that's better than an Mbox, maybe you don't need one.

The main difference between Steinberg stuff (Cubase, Nuendo) and Digidesign stuff (Pro Tools)is interface. They work in fundamentally different ways. Which way you use is up to you; it depends on your style.

Interface is important. it's why people still use the MPC60, the Linn 9000, and the SP12. It's because those pieces prioritize making music over sheer volume of features. It's fun to program a Linn 9000, it's fun to make beats on an MPC. And fast. And intuitive.

Cubase has many, many windows for all its functions, as does Nuendo. I use Nuendo at home (mainly because of the 32-bit floating-point mix buss - but that's another subject), and as I work, I constantly find myself with 6 or 8 or 11 windows open, none of which relate immediately to what I'm doing, but all of which could relate, depending on what I'm doing.

I use Pro Tools at the studios where I work, and it's prety straightforward: I've got two main windows. All my mixing and editing information is visible within those two windows. Extra windows over and beyond that are temporary windows.

With two monitors, my Pro Tools session is constantly visible, both mix-wise and tracks-wise. My Nuendo session is contained in several windows and sub-windows which may or may not make obvious what they're doing to what, and why.

For me, Pro Tools is by far the better way of working: less cluttered, more direct, more immediately visible. So, for me, it's the better choice. For somebody who likes to think of their production with each part contained in its own container, maybe a Steinberg product would be better. I dunno.

Just seems to me that the interface is the thing, especially when you will use this thing both for personal projects and when you need to get some work done fast for a client.

-Hoax

@ Hoax...

I know exactly what your talking about in regards to the multiple windows aspect of things. Ive worked with protools once in a studio that I did a couple of tracks with. However the only thing that was utilized, being used was the vocal screen. We were simply doing vocals that day. I have never made a beat with PT. In the same aspect I have never recorded vocals with Cubase. My questions are...

1.Is cubase just as good in the vocal recording/editing department as PT.

2.And if Im comfortable with all the windows all over the place and need more than 32 tracks at a time is it worth it for me to learn how to deal with a whole new system (not to mention the $hit load of money I would have to invest?)

I've been using ProTools to make house music for about 5 years. Most people I know use Logic. I love protools and have outboard gear that I use with protools and never had a problem with midi. I can write sequences, setup and program controllers for my gear. I mainly work in audio though as most people do these days because once I'll write a sequence, I want to run some plugins on it for effects, filter automation, etc..

As far as the mbox is concerned, I can tell you a lot of seasoned veterans use it with a laptop. I would say if you really don't like protools, which many people dont, go with logic. Logic is the future with Apple. Protools will hang on because of it being the standard and Logic will plow forward because of its push from Apple. I would pick one or the other if you're serious about making beats. They are both probably the best out there depending on personal preference. I'm a protools guy..thats just me.

Back